Noida officers’ removal: HC discharges contempt pleas
- Rahul on leave before budget session, BJP says people have already sent Cong on long leave
- 21 more deaths due to swine flu, toll reaches 833
- Anna protests against Land Acquisition Bill in Delhi, lashes out at Modi govt
- Budget: Finance Minister may announce policy plans to combat blackmoney
- Land Acquisition Act "suitably refined": President Pranab Mukherjee
The Allahabad High Court on Tuesday discharged two contempt applications which were filed after the state government failed to comply with the November 8, 2012, order of the high court for immediate removal of the then Noida chairman Rakesh Bahadur and then Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Sanjeev Saran.
A single judge bench of Justice Vikram Nath discharged the petitions after an affidavit was filed by the state advocate general, on behalf of Chief Secretary Javed Usmani, informing that both Saran and Bahadur had been transferred from their posts.
The affidavit said that Rama Raman, the CEO of Greater Noida Authority, has been given additional charge of CEO Noida, while Rajiv Kapoor has been posted as Chairman Noida. The court took the information on record and said that there was no need for contempt proceedings now.
Earlier, a PIL had been filed by Madhav Samaj Nirman Samiti (MSNS), in which it was alleged that Saran and Bahadur, during their previous tenure on the same posts between 2005-07, were accused of financial bungling and were facing FIR and departmental inquiry in that connection. Therefore, they should not have been re-appointed on the same posts.
MSNS and Nitin Deshwal had filed contempt petitions in December 2012, after the government failed to comply with the November 8 orders.
The two officials were appointed in May after the Samajwadi Party government came to power. Their previous tenure was also during the SP's regime.