Nonadanga: 7 in police custody
- Malaysia Airlines plane with 5 Indians onboard missing, presumed crashed off Vietnam coast
- Bharatiya Janata Party releases second list of candidates for Lok Sabha elections
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
During the protest against an eviction drive at Nonadanga, seven members of Mahila Matangini Samity and ABDR were picked up on Sunday. They were produced in the Alipore court today and remanded in police custody for three days.
The arrested persons include Debolina Chakraborty, president of Mahila Matangini Samity; Debjani, Abhigyan and Siddharta, members of APDR. Debolina who had always been a target of police, was never remanded in police custody during the tenure of the Left Front government.
Government lawyers in their submission asked for police custody of the seven persons claiming there can be arms at Nonadanga.
Debolina worked closely with Mamata Banerjee during the Nandigram movement. She formed the Mahila Matangini Samity, which fought against the Left government during the Singur and Nandigram movements. Daughter of a retired officer of Intelligence branch and allegedly member of the Nandigram Zonal Committee of the CPM, Debolina held rallies at Nonadanga protesting the eviction drive here. Earlier, the CID claimed to have gathered clinching evidence of her involvement with Maoists.
Today, protesting against the arrests, the slum dwellers of Nonadanga held a rally in the city. Fifty protesters were arrested.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today