Nonadanga: 7 in police custody
- Obama rules out putting US troops on ground to fight Islamic State
- Heavy rainfall floods Tamil Nadu, rail, road services badly hit; 71 killed so far
- Azam Khan's remarks on Paris attacks spark row, BJP demands action
- French officials identify Belgian national as suspected mastermind
- Awards recognition of talent, they should be cherished: Prez
During the protest against an eviction drive at Nonadanga, seven members of Mahila Matangini Samity and ABDR were picked up on Sunday. They were produced in the Alipore court today and remanded in police custody for three days.
The arrested persons include Debolina Chakraborty, president of Mahila Matangini Samity; Debjani, Abhigyan and Siddharta, members of APDR. Debolina who had always been a target of police, was never remanded in police custody during the tenure of the Left Front government.
Government lawyers in their submission asked for police custody of the seven persons claiming there can be arms at Nonadanga.
Debolina worked closely with Mamata Banerjee during the Nandigram movement. She formed the Mahila Matangini Samity, which fought against the Left government during the Singur and Nandigram movements. Daughter of a retired officer of Intelligence branch and allegedly member of the Nandigram Zonal Committee of the CPM, Debolina held rallies at Nonadanga protesting the eviction drive here. Earlier, the CID claimed to have gathered clinching evidence of her involvement with Maoists.
- Responses to Mumbai, Paris attacks were strikingly different. But India has learnt since
- Tipu Sultan: Revisionist overlook his bigotry, contemporaries saw nothing else
- True successors of Gandhi-Nehru
- Raja-Mandala: The final burial of non-alignment
- Modi in Britain: Beyond a reiteration of good intentions, little was achieved
- The government’s version of the uniform civil code must be debated publicly