Nonadanga: 7 in police custody
- Zero-tolerance towards communal violence, must act: Centre to states
- Varanasi: Violence breaks out during protest march, vehicles set ablaze
- Germany our natural partner, says Modi after meeting Merkel; 18 MoUs inked to boost trade
- Why the BJP finds itself in a spot before Gujarat local body polls
- Supreme Court suspends beef ban in Jammu & Kashmir for two months
During the protest against an eviction drive at Nonadanga, seven members of Mahila Matangini Samity and ABDR were picked up on Sunday. They were produced in the Alipore court today and remanded in police custody for three days.
The arrested persons include Debolina Chakraborty, president of Mahila Matangini Samity; Debjani, Abhigyan and Siddharta, members of APDR. Debolina who had always been a target of police, was never remanded in police custody during the tenure of the Left Front government.
Government lawyers in their submission asked for police custody of the seven persons claiming there can be arms at Nonadanga.
Debolina worked closely with Mamata Banerjee during the Nandigram movement. She formed the Mahila Matangini Samity, which fought against the Left government during the Singur and Nandigram movements. Daughter of a retired officer of Intelligence branch and allegedly member of the Nandigram Zonal Committee of the CPM, Debolina held rallies at Nonadanga protesting the eviction drive here. Earlier, the CID claimed to have gathered clinching evidence of her involvement with Maoists.