Nonadanga: 7 in police custody
- Manohar Parrikar sticks to stand, warns of action against Coast Guard officer
- Coast Guard DIG on video: Blow the Pak boat off, we don’t want to serve them biryani
- Clean chit to AAP: Nothing wrong with foreign funding, Centre tells HC
- Fake encounter case: D G Vanzara walks free; says "Acche Din" have arrived
- Defence is at heart of Make in India programme, says PM Modi at Bangalore Aero show
During the protest against an eviction drive at Nonadanga, seven members of Mahila Matangini Samity and ABDR were picked up on Sunday. They were produced in the Alipore court today and remanded in police custody for three days.
The arrested persons include Debolina Chakraborty, president of Mahila Matangini Samity; Debjani, Abhigyan and Siddharta, members of APDR. Debolina who had always been a target of police, was never remanded in police custody during the tenure of the Left Front government.
Government lawyers in their submission asked for police custody of the seven persons claiming there can be arms at Nonadanga.
Debolina worked closely with Mamata Banerjee during the Nandigram movement. She formed the Mahila Matangini Samity, which fought against the Left government during the Singur and Nandigram movements. Daughter of a retired officer of Intelligence branch and allegedly member of the Nandigram Zonal Committee of the CPM, Debolina held rallies at Nonadanga protesting the eviction drive here. Earlier, the CID claimed to have gathered clinching evidence of her involvement with Maoists.
Today, protesting against the arrests, the slum dwellers of Nonadanga held a rally in the city. Fifty protesters were arrested.