Normal life hit in Darjeeling due to indefinite shutdown
- 9 killed, over 40 injured as Bengaluru-Ernakulam Express train derails near Hosur
- SC says allegations grave, but grants relief to Teesta Setalvad in cheating case
- All you need to know about AAP's WiFi Delhi promise
- 19 killed as militants storm Shia mosque in Pakistan
- Modi’s cricket diplomacy: Renewing political contact with Pakistan
All the three sub-divisions of Darjeeling today wore a deserted look on the second day of the indefinite shutdown which resumed yesterday after a day's relaxation.
The Gorkhaland Joint Action Committee (GJAC) had earlier asked people to strictly observe its "Ghar Bhitre Janta" (people inside homes) programme during state Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee's two-day stay in the hills starting today.
The chief minister is on way to Kalimpong where she is scheduled to be accorded a felicitation by the Lepcha community tomorrow.
Sources said that Mamata would hold an administrative meeting today at Kalimpong where the district magistrate, SP and other high officials are expected to be present. Meanwhile, a 5-member GJAC team reached Delhi to meet Congress and BJP leaders, GJM sources said, indicating that the team was likely to meet Congress general secretary C P Joshi and GJM Darjeeling MP Jaswant Singh today.