North Korea nuke test 'highly provocative': Barack Obama
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Kejriwal holds roadshow in Varanasi before filing nomination
- Mulayam Yadav calls Narendra Modi a liar, says he changes 500 kurtas a day
- Bhavnagar model: Muslim buys house, canât move in
- 12-yr-olds also voted in this Bihar village
- Shazia says Muslims should become 'communal' when they vote
Terming North Korea's latest nuclear test as a "highly provocative act", US President Barack Obama today said it warrants "swift" and "credible" action by the international community.
"The danger posed by North Korea's threatening activities warrants further swift and credible action by the international community," Obama said in a written statement.
Obama said Washington will continue to take steps necessary to defend itself and allies. "The United States will also continue to take steps necessary to defend ourselves and our allies," he said.
Obama said that the test was a "highly provocative act" and it undermined regional stability and violated UN Security Council resolutions. "These provocations do not make North Korea more secure," he added.
"Far from achieving its stated goal of becoming a strong and prosperous nation, North Korea has instead increasingly isolated and impoverished its people through its ill-advised pursuit of weapons of mass destruction and their means of delivery," Obama said, ahead of an emergency meeting of the UN Security Council called for later today.
North Korea had conducted a provocative ballistic missile test on December 12 last year. North Korea today staged its most powerful nuclear test yet, claiming a breakthrough with a "miniaturised" device in a striking act of defiance to global powers including its sole patron China.
- Run Away Style
- Stakes high for AIADMK, DMK as TN goes to polls
- Six Bengal constituencies go to poll tomorrow in second phase
- Whistleblower alleged kickbacks, favours in ‘thin client’ procurement; NDA never completed inquiry
- Pune AAP volunteers all set to hit campaign trail in Varanasi
- ‘Interstate’ gang of chain snatchers held; gold worth Rs 80 lakh seized