Northeaster adds to NY misery; power supply, transport hit
- Independence Day Narendra Modi speech LIVE: PM addresses price rise to progress
- Narendra Modi speech Independence Day 2016: Transparency seems to be highlight, says processes simplified
- CRPF officer killed as militants attack police station in Srinagar
- Rio Olympics 2016: Dipa Karmakar's Produnova does India proud
- Narendra Modi’s Independence Day speech packs a few subtle hints after the hard messages
A northeaster threatened to unravel progress made since superstorm Sandy ravaged the New York area, delivering a second angry serving of howling wind and high water on Wednesday in places where misery and frustration had yet to recede.
In New Jersey, Gov. Chris Christie warned that the northeaster could leave many people in the dark again, only a few days after their power had been restored. "I can see us actually moving backwards," he said at a news conference on Long Beach Island.
The storm, which covered cars and trees in the region in a coat of white, brought down power lines faster than repair crews could keep up.
About 6:40 pm, the Long Island Rail Road temporarily suspended departures from Pennsylvania Station in Manhattan and Atlantic Terminal in Brooklyn after a series of storm-related problems on several of its lines. But later, limited service was restored.
The storm also snarled traffic in some areas, particularly along the Taconic State Parkway in Putnam and Westchester Counties, where the State Police said there had been multiple accidents.
- Indians are more free than when the British left, but less free than what the framers of our Constitution hoped us to be.
- Gujarat Dalits’ move to quit ‘menial jobs’ in protest has a precedent in UP
- Ravana in Uttar Pradesh: Nayanjot Lahiri
- PM Modi needs to move from slogans to action to transform agriculture
- Nepal: The politician-activist-donor nexus dominates the appointment of judges
- To his successor, and to the PM and the government, Dr Rajan has left valuable messages