Not another India, Pakistan WC game
- I expected to do very well but didn't expect to top it: UPSC topper
- Shiv Sena comes to BJP's rescue, says 'move to classify madrasas as non-schools not anti-religious'
- Across the Aisle: ‘Export or perish’. Have we chosen ‘perish’?
- Big Picture - ‘Why did they kill me, ammi?’
- Sunday Story: The Leader and his machine
The familiar batting woes came back to haunt the Indian women's cricket team as it lost by a run against arch-rivals Pakistan in a low-scoring thriller to finish winless in ICC World Twenty20's Group stage. Set a target of a mere 98 runs, the Indian women fumbled miserably to finish 97 for eight in their 20 overs to draw a blank in their Group A engagements and will now have to play hosts Sri Lanka on Wednesday to remain a part of the event in 2014.
It was a sort of revenge for Pakistan after its men's team was thoroughly outplayed by the arch-rivals last night in the same event. The Pakistani women managed to do what their male counterparts could not do against India last night — keep it cool under pressure and emerge triumphant.
Despite the win, the Pakistani women also failed to qualify for the semis as they finished third in the four-team group ahead of India.
Brief scores: Pakistan 98/9 (Sana Mir 26, Nain Abidi 25; Jhulan Goswami 2/16, Rasanara Parwin 2/15) bt India 97/8 (Jhulan Goswami 21; Nida Dar 3/12)by 1 run.