Not aware how Varsha got pistol: Asha’s son
- Muslim women beaten up in Madhya Pradesh over beef rumours
- Harish Rawat confirms Chinese incursion in Uttarakhand's Chamoli district
- GST Bill: Uncertainty continues as States don’t agree on rate
- Cow was killed by lion, not Dalit men flogged by gau rakshaks: CID
- How Governor Raghuram Rajan had his way on venue for RBI interviews
Singer Asha Bhosle's youngest son Anand on Saturday told police that he was not aware of how his elder sister Varsha came to possess the pistol with which she allegedly shot herself earlier this week.
Anand, who arrived from Singapore on Friday night, recorded his statement with the Gamdevi police on Saturday. Police had sent summons at his Lower Parel residence on Thursday.
Varsha (56), who was suffering from depression, allegedly committed suicide by shooting herself in the temple on Monday morning with a pistol of Belgian make at her residence in 'Prabhu Kunj' apartments on posh Peddar Road in South Mumbai.
Anand in his statement said his mother had lost a pistol three decades ago. He also showed the police the documents of the lost pistol. Police said the .6mm Belgium make pistol, which was used by Varsha to commit suicide, could have been the lost pistol.
He told the police that he had no clue how Varsha had got the pistol. He has informed the police that he too owns a pistol but its make is different from the one which was lost.
"Due to unavailability of tickets it took five days for Anand to reach Mumbai," police said.
- Irom Sharmila calling off her fast against the AFSPA reflects the state’s failure to engage
- Strengthen Centre-state relations by giving the Inter-State Council teeth
- The Patel agitation and Dalit unrest threaten BJP’s dominance in Gujarat
- The CAMPA Bill: Whose forests are these anyway?
- Arundhati Ghose will be remembered for her role in India’s nuclear diplomacy
- Nativist sentiments and a growing tendency towards looking inwards imperil globalisation