Not just Boston, Azam had a problem at Delhi airport as well
- Arvind Kejriwal to launch AAP's Lok Sabha poll campaign from Haryana today
- Donât discriminate between Muslims and others on false cases: Purohit to Shinde
- Fraud Office gets govt nod to prosecute Radia firms
- âStingâ journalist who reported on Amit Shah gets VIP security
- Army said unit was headed for IAF drill, ex-Air Chief says this was due only a month later
Before his run-in with the Boston airport authorities, UP's Urban Development Minister Azam Khan also reportedly accused the security staff at the Indira Gandhi International Airport in New Delhi of being "anti-Muslim".
The incident occurred on Wednesday evening, when Khan was on his way to Boston as part of the delegation accompanying Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav. The Samajwadi Party's Rajya Sabha member, Chaudhary Munabbar Saleem, went to the airport to meet Khan, but was reportedly not allowed inside the VVIP lounge.
"The security staff stopped me from entering the VVIP lounge. Being an MP, I am entitled to use the VVIP lounge. I showed my identity card, but they uttered disgraceful things about Parliament," claimed Saleem.
The MP said Khan, who was inside the VVIP lounge, then came out and reprimanded the security staff. "Azam Saheb told them they have an anti-Muslim mindset. They cannot see a Muslim MP going inside the VVIP lounge. I cannot tell you the abusive language they used," said Saleem.
In protest, Khan too reportedly did not use the VVIP lounge, and used the general gate for boarding his flight. While the CM was sitting inside the VVIP lounge at the time of the incident, he did not intervene.
"Now I realise that even the security staff at our airports have American mindset. When being an MP, I am given such treatment, it will be worse for ordinary Muslims," Saleem said.
The MP said the airport security staff later apologised and asked them to use the VVIP lounge, but Khan did not relent. He also reportedly told Saleem to lodge a complaint with the Prime Minister's Office. Saleem has complained about the "high-handedness'' of the security staff to the PMO.
- ‘Irrespective of the noise, BJP won’t get so many seats. There is craze for Modi, but how much translates into votes is difficult to say’
- Hindus should 'produce' at least 5 children, says VHP leader Ashok Singhal
- AMU teachers body to boycott Mulayam visit
- Mulayam, Akhilesh woo Brahmins, Muslims
- ‘Sting’ journalist who reported on Amit Shah gets VIP security
- Don’t discriminate between Muslims and others on false cases: Purohit writes to Shinde
- Top General speaks: Def Secy summoned me late night, said highest seat of power was worried, troops must go back quickly
- Government blames BJP for delay in passage of Telangana bill in Rajya Sabha, may extend Parliament session
- Dhoni, do you believe you can win abroad? | The Indian Express
- ‘Troop movement should’ve been avoided if they knew (V K Singh’s) court date’