Not one municipal corporation House meeting held this year
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Narendra Modi slams Jayanti Natarajan; polling underway in 12 states
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
- Is there a vikas vote? Healthier babies make not a whimper on campaign pitch in Hazaribagh
- Alagiri backs âgreat manâ Modi as PM
- CAG empowered to examine accounts of private telecom companies: Supreme Court
Sources say waiting for funds to be available to allot for projects
Unable to form a consensus and "extreme paucity of funds", the Ludhiana Municipal Corporation (LMC) has not had a single House meet since its election in June this year to discuss matters pertaining to the city. The only LMC meeting to have taken place was on September 21, which was to elect the Mayor.
Sources from the Mayor's office said: "Extreme paucity of funds and political factionalism are major reasons for the House not having met even once this year. We do not have funds and if the house meeting will take place, councillors will demand for sanctioning of funds to carry forward hanging projects and that is why we are postponing the meeting till funds arrive."
"We are trying our best to arrange for some funds by selling properties and collecting house tax. Some major recoveries are pending and most probably house meet will happen soon," added the source.
The LMC has also been unable to elect members for its two major committees: finance committee and house tax committee. "Finance committee is anyhow running because Mayor, MC commissioner, senior deputy mayor and deputy mayor are its members who pass on important orders but not even a single member has been elected to house tax committee due to lack of consensus among councillors from different parties. Even the finance committee has 2 councillor members which are still not elected and finance committee too has met only once," said the source.
Leader of opposition, Hemraj Aggarwal, Congress, said: "The truth is SAD-BJP government has no money and nor do they want to work for the city. On Monday, we are meeting them and call for an explanation, right from house tax to usage of funds."
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs
- Last safety check for Metro to begin April 18