Now, ‘wedding season’ stalls CM’s Janata Darshan
- Missing Malaysian jetliner: Plane's disappearance deliberate, says Malaysian PM
- Eyes on UP prize, Narendra Modi set for Varanasi
- Arrest warrant issued against Devyani Khobragade in US visa fraud case
- Unfazed, Arvind Kejriwal fires yet another salvo at media
- CRPF says police stalled its plan, may have averted Maoist ambush
Announced with much fanfare by the Samajwadi Party government as a way to connect with people, the Janta Darshan — scheduled to be held at Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav's official residence on Wednesday (February 5) has been postponed again.
Infact, Janta Darshan has not been held for the last three months. The last one was held on November 7, 2012.
An official spokesperson of the government said that this time the programme has been postponed as most people are busy with the ongoing wedding season. Soon after assuming charge as CM on March 15, 2012, the Janta Darshan was revived by Akhilesh on April 18. The tradition of Janta Darshan existed during Mulayam Singh Yadav's regime, but it was discontinued during Bahujan Samaj Party's regime headed by Mayawati.
It was proposed in the SP government to hold the Janta Darshan every Wednesday, which was later modified to first and third Wednesday of every month. During Janta Darshan, Akhilesh met people directly at his official residence and took their applications for redressal.
The first official Janta Darshan was a hit with nearly 10,000 people converging at the CM's residence. Akhilesh personally collected nearly 5,000 applications.
Due to the high volume of applications, it was decided to introduce bar coding system. Every application was provided with a six digit bar code form October 3, 2012, a copy of which was provided to the applicant who can check the status of his application online by visiting www.upcmo.up.nic.in.
Due to the heavy rush of applications, a restriction was imposed from September 3, 2012 on the delegation of various organisations thus reserving the Janta Darshan exclusively for common people.
However, the smooth running of Janta Darshan ended on November 7. It was postponed in December, citing the CM's engagement in the Assembly session. In January it was the inclement weather conditions which resulted in postponment of the Janta Darshan. This time it is the ongoing wedding season.
- BJP projected to sweep Gujarat, Rajasthan, Karnataka; Congress to get big jolt in Maharashtra
- Editors body slams Arvind Kejriwal for ‘irresponsible’ media remark, says it is a sign of ‘weakness’
- Trouble in alliance with Congress, TRS turns to BJP
- Minority panel removed my riot report against Modi: Ex-Secy