Now, BJP at receiving end of agitation
- Modi's appeal to the rich: 'Give up subsidised LPG'
- Distrust deepens, AAP countdown begins for easing out Yadav and Prashant Bhushan
- MS Dhoni: Smudged, but colour remains
- Maharashtra: First arrests made under new law banning beef trade
- Ribeiro an icon, I felt sad reading his piece, told the PM: Nitin Gadkari
Already, BJP MP Yogi Adityanath has announced he will oppose the bill in the Lok Sabha. BJP deputy leader in UP Assembly Satish Mahana had also opposed the bill.
Sources said senior BJP leaders Murli Manohar Joshi and Lalji Tandon stressed at the BJP parliamentary party meeting today that supporting the bill could have an adverse impact on the party's support base in UP.
BJP parliamentary party chairman L K Advani was learnt to have asked Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley to explain the rationale behind the party's support to the Bill.
Joshi's opposition reportedly came to the fore at a congregation of Brahmins organised in Jaipur last Sunday. Sources said former party president Rajnath Singh is also opposed to the Bill.