Now, Chhattisgarh Home Minister Nanki Ram Kanwar, blames rapes on women’s ‘stars’
- After arrest, Jitender Singh Tomar resigns as Delhi Law Minister
- Army begins operation near Myanmar border, kills militants involved in Manipur ambush
- Joint CP Mukesh Kumar Meena hits back, says he took charge at ACB under L-G's orders
- Congress president Sonia Gandhi accuses PM Modi of 'U-turns, falsehoods'
- UP minister booked for burning journalist to death over Facebook post
Chhattisgarh Home Minister Nanki Ram Kanwar on Monday said that sexual offences against women occur because their stars do not favour them. He made the comment after reports emerged that 11 minor tribal girls were allegedly raped by their teacher and a peon in a Kanker hostel.
"Aajkal ladkiyon ke grih nakshtra achhe nahi chal rahe hain, isliye aisi waaardaten ho rahi hain (These days women's stars aren't in their favour, that is why such incidents are taking place)," said Kanwar, also a tribal.
State Congress president Nand Kumar Patel called his remark childish and vulgar.
Meanwhile, medical reports confirmed that the 11 girls had been raped. The hostel superintendent Babita Madkam, also a tribal, has been suspended after it emerged that the girls had repeatedly complained to her, but she did not take any action.
The accused peon Dina Nath and teacher Mannu Ram have been arrested.
All the girls are between the ages of 8 and 12.