Now, Congress leader Bikram Singh Brahma allegedly rapes woman, cops rescue him as crowds go berserk
- Lok Sabha proceedings washed out as Opposition adamant on Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhra Raje's resignation
- BJP counters Congress with ‘sting CD’ on Uttarakhand CM’s aide
- Nitish Kumar to welcome PM Modi, attend programmes too if invited
- Speaker Sumitra Mahajan's warning of 'disciplinary action' irks opposition
- Lt Governor Najeeb Jung calls DCW chief's appointment illegal
A woman was allegedly raped by a prominent Congress leader in Lower Assam's Chirang district, police sources said today.
The woman's husband lodged an FIR alleging that Congress leader Bikram Singh Brahma raped his wife last night.
Based on the FIR filed by the woman's husband, the police in lower Assam's Chirang district today arrested Brahma, Chirang superintendent of police Kumar Sanjeev Krishna said.
Brahma is the Congress coordinator of Bodoland Territorial Council and Baksa district Congress committee chairman.
When the people of Santipur area along the Indo-Bhutan border, where the incident happened, came to know of the incident, they gheraoed Brahma and later the police arrived on the scene and took him into custody.
Before cops came on scene crowds had almoxt stripped him naked, severely thrashed him and were in the process of lynching him when he was rescued.
The SP said appropriate action will be taken as per the FIR filed by the victim's husband.