Now, kin of Doon MLA go missing
- 5th phase of elections: Moderate to high turnout on biggest voting day, halfway mark crossed
- Congress releases CD of Uma Bharti calling Narendra Modi 'Vinash Purush'
- April 17 poll roundup: Rajnath says only Modi will be PM; Jaswant Singh writes to EC against Raje
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, DD vs RCB: Rahul breaks solid stand, Patel departs
Family members, including the wife and brother of the absconding Doon MLA and Himachal Congress general secretary, Ram Kumar Chaudhary, have gone into hiding. The legislator is wanted for questioning in connection with the murder of 24-year old Hoshiarpur girl Jyoti Kumari. Himachal Police, however, picked up the absconding MLA's father, Lajja Ram, from the Baddi market and he is being questioned to ascertain the whereabouts of the fourtime legislator from Doon constituency.
On Saturday, police raided the residences of the MLA and his relatives at Baddi in Himachal Pradesh but found only servants at the houses. Ram Kumar's brother Chaudhary Madan Lal, the chairman of the Baddi Municipal Council, has not reported for work since January 1, officials said. His wife, Bhupinder Kaur, a former chairman of the Baddi Municipal Council and Ram Kumar's wife, Kuldeep Kaur, have also gone into hiding.
"The family has houses in the vicinity, but on Saturday when we went to raid them, we found only servants there," Superintendent of Police (SP) Baddi, Arul Kumar said. Later in the evening, however, the MLA's father was picked up.
Police said that they have already booked the MLA's two brothers for not co-operating in the case. "We can register cases against other family members as well if we feel that they are not cooperating," Kumar added.
Police officials further said that the cellphones of the MLA's family members also couldn't be reached before adding that the legislator and four of his accomplices, in the case, will be declared as proclaimed offenders if they continue to evade arrests. Officials also said that the MLA's brothers, Chaudhary Madan Lal and Harbajan Chaudhary, had been questioned earlier and both had claimed that they had no idea where the MLA was.
According to the Baddi SP, police have raided factory sites, brick kilns, crushers and petrol pumps owned by the family but have been unable to trace the Himachal legislator. Officials said the businesses are managed by Harbajan Chaudhary while Madan Lal and Ram Kumar are active in politics.
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs
- Last safety check for Metro to begin April 18