Now, kin of Doon MLA go missing
- Malaysian plane crashes off Vietnam coast; 5 Indians on board
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
Family members, including the wife and brother of the absconding Doon MLA and Himachal Congress general secretary, Ram Kumar Chaudhary, have gone into hiding. The legislator is wanted for questioning in connection with the murder of 24-year old Hoshiarpur girl Jyoti Kumari. Himachal Police, however, picked up the absconding MLA's father, Lajja Ram, from the Baddi market and he is being questioned to ascertain the whereabouts of the fourtime legislator from Doon constituency.
On Saturday, police raided the residences of the MLA and his relatives at Baddi in Himachal Pradesh but found only servants at the houses. Ram Kumar's brother Chaudhary Madan Lal, the chairman of the Baddi Municipal Council, has not reported for work since January 1, officials said. His wife, Bhupinder Kaur, a former chairman of the Baddi Municipal Council and Ram Kumar's wife, Kuldeep Kaur, have also gone into hiding.
"The family has houses in the vicinity, but on Saturday when we went to raid them, we found only servants there," Superintendent of Police (SP) Baddi, Arul Kumar said. Later in the evening, however, the MLA's father was picked up.
Police said that they have already booked the MLA's two brothers for not co-operating in the case. "We can register cases against other family members as well if we feel that they are not cooperating," Kumar added.
Police officials further said that the cellphones of the MLA's family members also couldn't be reached before adding that the legislator and four of his accomplices, in the case, will be declared as proclaimed offenders if they continue to evade arrests. Officials also said that the MLA's brothers, Chaudhary Madan Lal and Harbajan Chaudhary, had been questioned earlier and both had claimed that they had no idea where the MLA was.
According to the Baddi SP, police have raided factory sites, brick kilns, crushers and petrol pumps owned by the family but have been unable to trace the Himachal legislator. Officials said the businesses are managed by Harbajan Chaudhary while Madan Lal and Ram Kumar are active in politics.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today