Now, Sangli Mayor under scanner for son's lavish wedding
- Aamir Khan responds, says 'Proud to be Indian, stand by what I said'
- GST is in the interest of the nation, says PM Modi at all-party meet
- Rescued Russian pilot says no warning from Turkey before jet downed
- 'Suit boot ki sarkar' is failing because there are no jobs: Rahul Gandhi
- BJP strategy in Parliament: Aggression is the best form of defense
After a minister in Maharashtra, the Mayor of Sangli-Miraj too has come under the scanner of tax authorities for the lavish wedding of his son.
Service Tax Department sleuths on Wednesday conducted an inquiry at the residence of Idris Naikwadi, Mayor of Sangli-Miraj and Kupwad Municipal Corporation in western Maharashtra, in connection with the extravagant wedding of his son recently, sources said.
When contacted, Naikwadi confirmed the development.
"Yes, Service Tax officials conducted inquiry at my residence," he said but did not provide further details.
Income-Tax department had on Monday conducted searches at the premises of NCP leader and Minister of State for Urban Development Bhaskar Jadhav over extravagant weddings of his two children at a time when the state is battling severe drought.
- Post 13/11 sloganeering at Antalya and Kuala Lumpur won’t be enough
- Can Parliament be insulated from the vagaries of the political climate?
- Telescope: Aamir and Chinese whispers
- What Manmohan Singh really think about the Planning Commission?
- Going solar
- Newspaper is supposed to expose corruption and injustice wherever it finds it