Now, Sangli Mayor under scanner for son's lavish wedding
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Record 79 pc polling in Bengal; Jaswant Singh writes to EC against Raje
- Congress releases CD of Uma Bharti calling Narendra Modi 'Vinash Purush'
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
- Supreme Court allows CAG to audit private telecom firms
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, DD vs RCB: Duminy, Taylor push DD to 145/4
After a minister in Maharashtra, the Mayor of Sangli-Miraj too has come under the scanner of tax authorities for the lavish wedding of his son.
Service Tax Department sleuths on Wednesday conducted an inquiry at the residence of Idris Naikwadi, Mayor of Sangli-Miraj and Kupwad Municipal Corporation in western Maharashtra, in connection with the extravagant wedding of his son recently, sources said.
When contacted, Naikwadi confirmed the development.
"Yes, Service Tax officials conducted inquiry at my residence," he said but did not provide further details.
Income-Tax department had on Monday conducted searches at the premises of NCP leader and Minister of State for Urban Development Bhaskar Jadhav over extravagant weddings of his two children at a time when the state is battling severe drought.
The department is gathering information about the huge expenses incurred during the elaborate weddings of Jadhav's son and daughter in Chiplun, Ratnagiri district, on February 13. Yesterday, the Service Tax Department personnel carried out search operations on the premises of decorators who had spruced up the wedding venue.
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs
- Last safety check for Metro to begin April 18