Now, Sangli Mayor under scanner for son's lavish wedding
- Hummer horror case: Kerala court awards life sentence for convict Muhammad Nisham
- Pathankot attack part of our activity, nothing to do with Indo-Pak dialogue: Hizb-ul Mujahideen chief
- Rohit Vemula suicide: Dalit staff lay low in fear of being dubbed anti-national
- Pathankot: Intruder shot dead by BSF along Indo-Pak border
- Rohith Vemula got call from cops, notice from hostel
After a minister in Maharashtra, the Mayor of Sangli-Miraj too has come under the scanner of tax authorities for the lavish wedding of his son.
Service Tax Department sleuths on Wednesday conducted an inquiry at the residence of Idris Naikwadi, Mayor of Sangli-Miraj and Kupwad Municipal Corporation in western Maharashtra, in connection with the extravagant wedding of his son recently, sources said.
When contacted, Naikwadi confirmed the development.
"Yes, Service Tax officials conducted inquiry at my residence," he said but did not provide further details.
Income-Tax department had on Monday conducted searches at the premises of NCP leader and Minister of State for Urban Development Bhaskar Jadhav over extravagant weddings of his two children at a time when the state is battling severe drought.
- We need to stop denying India’s not-so-hidden apartheid
- Pranab and Sushma visits reflect today’s tighter India-Israel bond
- Iran nuclear deal demonstrate the necessity and benefits of multilateralism
- Diary item: Bengal’s Burdwan break
- What if law not dictate but allows old customs and traditions to do their work?
- Strictly regulated and independently audited jallikattu is the way to go