Delhi gangrape: PM Manmohan Singh speaks
- The Rahul Gandhi interview: 'PM candidates are unconstitutional, I won't step back if MPs ask me to be PM'
- Maoists target teachers, ambulance
- World doesn't trust Modi, says Congress citing British newspaper
- Day after EC crackdown, Azam Khan booked for Kargil remarks
- The Narendra Modi interview: 'Cong's problem is that it can't see a chaiwallah challenging them'
Following is the text of the statement made by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today on the Delhi gangrape issue:
"My fellow citizens, there is genuine and justified anger and anguish at the ghastly crime of gang-rape committed last Sunday in Delhi. As a father of three daughters myself, I feel as strongly about this as each one of you.
"My wife, my family and I are all joined in our concern for the young woman who was the victim of this heinous crime. We are constantly monitoring her medical condition. Let us all pray for her and her loved ones during this critical time.
"I also feel deeply sad at the turn of events leading to clashes between protesters and police forces. Anger at this crime is justified but violence will serve no purpose. I appeal to all concerned citizens to maintain peace and calm. I assure you that we will make all possible efforts to ensure security and safety of women in this country. The Home Minister has already spoken about the steps being taken.
"We will examine without delay not only the responses to this terrible crime but also all aspects concerning the safety of women and children and punishment to those who commit these monstrous crimes. Our Government will keep you informed of the steps we are taking and the processes we are following.
"I appeal to all sections of society to maintain peace and help us in our efforts."
- Part of Azad Maidan to be briefly closed next year for Metro work
- Telephone operator deposes before Juvenile Justice Board in her ‘last court visit’ in case
- Weapons in check-in baggage
- Hailstorm-hit farmers an angry lot in Osmanabad, NCP pins hopes on rebels in Sena-BJP camp
- ‘It is for the people of India to decide who should be their next PM, and we will willingly engage with the government’
- Life of Pie