NRHM scam: Accused tries to end life
- Highest earners in 75% rural households earned below Rs 5K: SECC
- Ex-RAW chief's revelation: Congress seeks PM's apology for Gujarat riots
- Hema Malini's car accident: Victim's family upset with BJP MP
- Kandahar operation: BJP dismisses ex-RAW chief's claims of 'goof-up'
- Gujarat HC dismisses petition against PM Narendra Modi for filing defective affidavit
A pharmacist who was questioned by a CBI team in a case related to NRHM scam on Monday and was summoned again for Wednesday attempted suicide by consuming poison at his house in Maharajganj district on Tuesday. He is undergoing treatment at BRD Medical College in Gorakhpur where his condition was stated to be critical.
Ram Bilas Verma served on contract basis under Ayush scheme and was posted at a community health centre at Dhani area in Maharajganj.
CBI's Dharini Mishra said a CBI team is camping in Gorakhpur regarding investigation in a case of alleged irregularities in purchase of medicines at CHCs in Gorakhpur, Kushinagar, Deoria and Maharajganj districts. The pharmacist is a suspect, she said. Mishra said the man was questioned Monday by a CBI team in Gorakhpur in presence of several other persons.
Maharajganj chief medical officer Dr A K Srivastava said the pharmacist was rushed to the CHC at Pharenda area after his condition deteriorated at his house at Dhani in the morning. Later, he was referred to the medical college in Gorakhpur. The CMO said they did not know what substance he had consumed.
On January 23, Sunil Kumar Verma, a project engineer of Construction & Design Services of UP Jal Nigam and also an accused in the NRHM scam, had committed suicide by shooting himself at his residence in Lucknow.