NRHM scam: CBI opens more inquiries
- GST Bill in Rajya Sabha this week, Jaitley to discuss amendments with state finance ministers
- Narsingh Yadav fails dope test, Rio 2016 Olympics participation under threat
- AAP MLA Amanatullah Khan arrested for threatening a woman
- Kin of missing AN-32 passengers, crew: Across the country, they wait for word, hoping and praying
- Kashmir unrest: Of 317 with pellet injuries in action by CRPF, over 50% have been hit in eye
The CBI has registered 23 fresh preliminary enquiries (PEs) into alleged irregularities in the execution and implementation of NRHM schemes in Uttar Pradesh. While 12 of the PEs were lodged by UP region CBI on Thursday, others were registered by the special task force of Delhi CBI on Wednesday.
While the CBI's Lucknow special crime branch will conduct six PEs, Dehradun and Ghaziabad units will enquire into three matters each, said a senior CBI official.
The STF unit of Delhi CBI will conduct 11 PEs into various UP districts.
Sixteen of the preliminary enquiries are related to alleged irregularities in the procurement of medicines, surgical equipment, publicity material and other articles under various NRHM schemes across the state between 2005 and 2011.
The CBI had, earlier, registered 18 cases into the UP NRHM scam last year, while two other cases related to irregularities in Lucknow district had been registered in August, 2011. CBI teams from Delhi have been investigating the matter on the directive of the Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court.
About 25 accused have been arrested so far and some of them are out on bail.
An official said that the Lucknow SCB has registered PEs into the alleged irregularities related to Allahabad, Sultanpur, Banda, Jhansi, Azamgarh and Shahjahanpur districts.
Similarly, the Dehradun unit has lodged PEs into the matters related to Muzaffarnagar, Saharanpur and Bijnore, while Ghaziabad will conduct PEs into the alleged irregularities detected in Aligarh, Moradabad and Bareilly districts.
The STF unit of Delhi will conduct PEs into the districts which include Agra, Farrukhabad, Mainpuri, Chitrakoot, Gonda, Balrampur, Basti and Sidharth Nagar.
The official also said that the documents related to purchases have been sought from the offices of Chief Medical Officers (CMOs) and district health societies in the concerned districts.
- Kashmir unrest: A to-do list for PM Modi
- Not too late to reverse an ugliness spreading in the name of our sacred cows
- Arvind Kejriwal is uncomfortable with anyone with a mind of his own
- Not just the Arunachal switch but the choice of Sheila Dikshit for the UP are warnings to the BJP
- Gujarat unrest shows while Dalit lives have improved, conflict has increased
- Zakir Naik is ‘protected’ as an Indian citizen but he considers himself a Muslim first