NRI's 4-seater plane lands on highway in MP due to bad weather
- ICC World Twenty20: Sri Lanka end 18-year wait
- Congress alone can counter BJP's "divisive ideology": Manmohan Singh
- Criminal case against Amit Shah, a calculated design: BJP
- Cong, SP, BSP indulging in stage-managed WWF: Modi
- April 6 Campaign roundup: Mulayam, Mayawati, Kejriwal dreaming of becoming PM, says Kalyan Singh
A four-seater private aircraft made an emergency landing on a highway in Madhya Pradesh in rough weather on Tuesday morning, bringing traffic to a halt and startling motorists.
The small aircraft, said to be Piper PA-30, belonging to NRI Sam Verma, was on a regular sortie when it was caught in strong winds and forced to land on a four-lane highway, about 180 km from Bhopal.
Dramatic TV videos showed the aircraft's descent amidst wooded surroundings and electric poles as traffic was brought to a halt for safe landing. The plane, with insignia VT-EUC, landed safely and pulled up yards away from rows of trucks parked on the roadside.
According to local authorities, the pilot had initially sought permission to land near the Sapna dam which was denied for security reasons. The pilot, who was on board alone, was unharmed.
Betul Collector Rajesh Prasad Mishra said the Department of Civil Aviation and Air Traffic Control would be asked to explain who had given permission for landing after which the next course of action would be decided.
Meanwhile, sources in the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA), Mumbai, said they have not yet received the Flight Safety Report of the aircraft to be able to understand the reason for the emergency landing.
"We have received this information from the media and have not yet been contacted by the owner. We are also yet to get the FSR. We tried to call up the businessman owner but he is not responding," a DGCA official said in Mumbai.
He said the district police should register a case and submit the Flight Safety Report to the civil aviation safety regulator.
- Babri Masjid demolition sting: BJP questions timing, asks EC to stop telecast
- Apmaan ka badla lena hoga: Amit Shah in Muzaffarnagar | The Indian Express
- Arvind Kejriwal punched during roadshow in Delhi, AAP supporters thrash attacker
- Sentencing in Shakti Mills gang-rape case likely today, convicts may get death