NSEL scam: FMC finds Jignesh Shah, Financial Technologies not fit and proper to run any bourse
- Five crew members killed in IAF's C-130J Super Hercules plane crash
- IPL season 7 to go on; Sunil Gavaskar to be BCCI chief
- Sahara staff offer to collect Rs 5,000 cr for Subrata Roy's release
- Two terrorists killed in encounter after attacking army camp in J&K
- India vs Bangladesh Live Cricket Score: Unchanged India win toss, elect to field first
In a severe indictment, commodity market regulator FMC has said Jignesh Shah and his firm Financial Technologies India Ltd (FTIL) are not 'fit and proper' to run any exchange in the country and charged him of being the "highest beneficiary" in the NSEL scam.
Jignesh Shah founded Multi Commodity Exchange of India Ltd (MCX) in November 2003 and then went on to set up a stock exchange this year. He is currently the Chairman of Financial Technologies India Ltd (FTIL) which owns and runs National Spot Exchange Ltd (NSEL) where a Rs 5,500 crore payment crisis is being probed by multiple agencies.
In an 80-page order, the Forward Markets Commission (FMC), which went into the running of NSEL following payment defaults, held that FTIL is not a 'fit and proper person' to hold anything more than 2 per cent shareholding in the MCX.
FTIL currently has 26 per cent stake in MCX, the country's largest commodity exchange and will need to cut its stake following the FMC order.
Shah on October 9 quit as Vice-Chairman and Shareholder Director of MCX-SX, the third major stock exchange in the country. Few weeks later, he also resigned as Vice Chairman of MCX.
Noting that Shah was "practically the highest beneficiary of the fraud perpetrated at the NSEL Exchange", the FMC ordered that "Shri Jignesh P. Shah is not a 'fit and proper' person to hold any position in the management and the Board of any Exchange recognised or registered by the Government of India/Forward Markets Commission under FCRA, 1952".
FMC also ordered Joseph Massey and Shreekant Javalgekar, former directors of MCX, not a 'fit and proper' person to hold any position in the management and the Board of any Exchange.
- Manmohan, Sonia and Rahul to campaign in Odisha
- Khurshid hits out at UP police over poll code violation case
- BJP will field strong candidates against Rahul, Sonia: Rajnath
- Modi, Hooda snatching land from farmers: Kejriwal
- Major political outfits banking on 'senior' leaders in Punjab
- IM top man Akhtar was planning terror strike in Delhi: Police