NSG Mumbai hub ‘safe’, commandos move in
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Thousands join Narendra Modi as he begins roadshow ahead of filing nomination from Varanasi
- Modi to Cong: Just 20 days more...Will take revenge
- Letter by Xavier's principal criticising Gujarat model taken down from college website
- Donât allow regional parties to contest LS polls: Chavan
- Elections 2014 Phase 6 LIVE: Slow voting in Mumbai, UP registers 24 % in first four hours
The newly created hub in the metropolis is to enable NSG to launch swift counter-terror and counter-hijack missions
After a survey following reports of cracks, experts have declared permanent structures for NSG in Mumbai safe for occupation and the commandos have moved in.
An IIT Roorkee team recently visited the facility, which houses a squad of 241 'black cat' commandos and support staff. The newly created hub in the western metropolis is to enable NSG to launch swift counter-terror and counter-hijack missions.
"The IIT-Roorkee team has vetted the design of the structures and approved the quality. The commandos have moved in. The structures are safe," National Buildings Construction Corporation (NBCC) director (projects) A K Mittal said.
The structures at Marol in suburban Andheri on 23 acres given by the Maharashtra government, have been built by the state-owned NBCC at a cost of Rs 56 crore.
The commandos were forced to occupy "semi-permanent and pre-fabricated" structures in the same complex for some time after flaws were reported in the building.
Mittal said engineering experts visited the facility, inaugurated by then Home Minister P Chidambaram in February, and the hub was totally operational with commandos occupying both official and family accommodations.
NSG chief Subhash Joshi also confirmed the development. He said the hub in Mumbai was "functioning round-the-clock and the commandos occupying the structures".
The hub has housing and training facilities and fulfills all operational requirements of NSG commandos. It was created in the aftermath of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack of 2008. The hub will also have helicopter landing facilities for quick 'air-insertion' of commandos.
The other three NSG hubs in the country with commandos ready for action 24x7 are at Chennai, Kolkata and Hyderabad.
- Arvind Kejriwal lashes out at BJP for attack on Somnath Bharti
- ANF official accused of killing youth a gallantry award winner
- Maharashtra: Poor turnout till 9 am in third phase of polling
- Hyderabad blast 2013: Agencies hunt for Mangalore ‘source’
- Police raids Giriraj Singh's home to arrest him for hate remarks
- Main accused in hawala racket has underworld links: Police