Obama 'fined for not paying congestion fee during UK visit'
- After Fali Nariman, former SC judge questions Lokpal selection process
- TRS wonât merge, Congress readies to walk alone in both Andhra and Bihar
- Bihar: Flanked by Paswans, Narendra Modi sells âN(Development)Aâ
- Nitin Gadkari's âproposalâ for Raj Thackeray: Donât put up candidates for LS polls
- CBI to look into DLF high-rise plan near Rashtrapati Bhavan
US President Barack Obama has been slapped with a fine of 120 pounds for not paying congestion charge in London during his state visit to Britain two months ago, a report said.
In fact, the US President was hit with the penalty for his motorcade not paying the congestion fee, sources reported.
London Mayor Boris Johnson had wanted the 10 pounds congestion fee to be paid for the President's armour-plated limo -- dubbed "The Beast" -- and all other cars during his state visit in May.
But cameras only managed to photograph one of the vehicles in Obama's motorcade as they were driving so close together. That is the subject of the 120 pounds fine, the report said.
Johnson is understood to have raised the issue with President Obama at a Buckingham Palace banquet during his state visit to the UK.
Foreign embassy staff owe 50 million pounds in unpaid congestion charge fines -- plus 491,000 pounds in parking fines and 566,000 pounds in non-domestic rates.
The US is at the top of the list with a five million pounds bill, followed by Russia on 4.4 million pounds, according to the UK's Foreign Office figures.
The US Embassy said it was not aware of a fine – and claimed diplomatic rules prevented it being issued.
- Russia tightens grip in Crimea, West threatens ‘consequences’
- Heavy patrolling in Sector 23 after thief leaves daring note
- Difference of opinion between Patil and UT’s senior standing counsel led to his resignation
- Commissioner to look into shady land deals in 35 villages: High Court
- Class X maths exam easy for some, tough for others
- Panchkula MC approves budget of Rs 39 crore