Obama jokes with Clooney at starís gala
- LIVE: Lok Sabha passes Telangana Bill, Jagan calls for bandh across Andhra Pradesh
- Your ministers used to throw dust, now they're using pepper spray to fool people: Modi to Cong
- Rajiv Gandhi's killers get relief, Supreme Court commutes death penalty to life
- Seven Naxals killed in police encounter in Gadchiroli
- Interim Budget 2014: Economy headache for next government
George Clooney played the suave host and President Barack Obama and about 150 of his Hollywood donors enjoyed a few laughs at Clooney's good-humoured expense.
The event at Clooney's sprawling home raised nearly $15 million, a record for a single fundraiser.
Obama told the crowd Thursday night that his famed Hope poster from his 2008 campaign was derived from a photograph of Obama sitting next to Clooney when Obama was a US senator. Clooney had been in Washington advocating on behalf of the Darfur conflict in Sudan.
"This is the first time that George Clooney has ever been photoshopped out of a picture,'' Obama said. "Never happened before, never happen again.''
In fact, the artist who created the poster, Shepard Fairey, used another photograph of Obama but said he relied on the Obama-Clooney picture to avoid a copyright infringement case with The Associated Press.
The guests paid $40,000 to attend, accounting for about $6 million of the evening's financial haul for Obama's campaign and the Democratic Party. The remainder came from a raffle for small-dollar donors. "We raised a lot of money because people love George,'' Obama said. "They like me; they love George.''
- Few takers for UT scholarships, students claim not enough info
- Interim budget focuses on transport but misses out on Metro Rail for UT
- GPP to become history, will merge with BJP next week in Modi’s presence
- PMC to clean up city by today
- Corporators include projects worth Rs 500 crore in draft PMC budget
- Ukraine burns again, at least 9 killed