Obama sends condolences for firefighters who died in Arizona wildfire
- Arvind Kejriwal released after brief detention in Gujarat over no permission for road show
- Supreme Court takes suo motu cognisance of ink attack on Subrata Roy
- Rahul slams BJP, says party wants to vest power in one person
- Sheila Dikshit appointed Kerala Governor; Congress-RJD pact likely today
- For âcheeringâ Pakistan in India match, university in Meerut suspends 67 Kashmiri students
President Barack Obama is expressing his condolences to the families of the 19 firefighters who died battling an Arizona wildfire.
Obama says the firefighters were heroes and highly skilled professionals who quote -- "put themselves in harm's way to protect the lives and property of fellow citizens they would never meet." Obama, who is traveling in Africa, says the federal government will be in close contact with state and local officials in Arizona to provide support.
The firefighters _ members of an elite crew fighting a forest fire northwest of Phoenix _ were overtaken Sunday by a fast-moving blaze stoked by hot winds. The fire also destroyed some 200 homes.