Oct 2: 60 lakh Assam students to write essay on Mahatma
- Patna High Court stays Nitish Kumar's election as JD(U) legislature party chief
- Arvind Kejriwal gets down to business, calls for full statehood for Delhi
- President Pranab Mukherjee warns against deviation from constitutional principles
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: SIT to quiz Shashi Tharoor tomorrow
- Shanti Bhushan accuses Arvind Kejriwal of accepting 'tainted' money
On October 2, about 60 lakh students across Assam will be writing an essay on Mahatma Gandhi. Announcing this here Sunday, Assam Education Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said every student and teacher would have to remain present in their respective educational institutions on the day as the education department in Assam has withdrawn the Gandhi Jayanti holiday. "While school teachers will have to organise an essay competition on Gandhiji, college teachers will have to organise a quiz on Gandhiji and the freedom movement on Gandhi Jayanti," Sarma said.