Oct 2: 60 lakh Assam students to write essay on Mahatma
- Highest earners in 75% rural households earned below Rs 5K: SECC
- Ex-RAW chief's revelation: Congress seeks PM's apology for Gujarat riots
- Hema Malini's car accident: Victim's family upset with BJP MP
- Kandahar operation: BJP dismisses ex-RAW chief's claims of 'goof-up'
- Gujarat HC dismisses petition against PM Narendra Modi for filing defective affidavit
On October 2, about 60 lakh students across Assam will be writing an essay on Mahatma Gandhi. Announcing this here Sunday, Assam Education Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said every student and teacher would have to remain present in their respective educational institutions on the day as the education department in Assam has withdrawn the Gandhi Jayanti holiday. "While school teachers will have to organise an essay competition on Gandhiji, college teachers will have to organise a quiz on Gandhiji and the freedom movement on Gandhi Jayanti," Sarma said.