Octroi out by yearend: CM
- Parliament LIVE: Expert committee to review use of pellet guns, says Rajnath
- Dalit fury spills over to Gujarat streets, 9 more try to end lives; CM meets family assaulted in Una
- Hit by campus protests, FTII makes new students sign ‘decorum, decency’ affidavit
- Dalits are 'soft target' for cow vigilantes: fact finding team
- Suspicious bag found inside Dubai-Amritsar SpiceJet flight
CM Prithviraj Chavan said Friday octroi would be abolished in the state by December-end.
"We are gradually introducing local body tax (LBT) in all corporations. We expect to do away with octroi by the end of the year," he said at an industry summit.Maharashtra, the only state to levy local octroi, has introduced accounts-based LBT to replace it.
LBT has been introduced in municipal areas of Amravati, Akola, Ahmednagar, Ulhasnagar, Kalyan-Dombivali, Chandrapur, Parbhani, Latur and Nashik, among other corporations.
- UN faces a crisis, but its new secretary general is unlikely to upset tradition
- South China Sea verdict has changed the ground rules for future engagement with China
- Empowering women through JAM
- Resolution of citizen grievances is an indicator of the performance of government departments
- Telescope: Grace and the lack of it
- The endeavour for a common civil law must be to end discrimination, and not stamp majority might