Octroi out by yearend: CM
- Rahul on leave before budget session, BJP says people have already sent Cong on long leave
- 21 more deaths due to swine flu, toll reaches 833
- Anna protests against Land Acquisition Bill in Delhi, lashes out at Modi govt
- Budget: Finance Minister may announce policy plans to combat blackmoney
- Land Acquisition Act "suitably refined": President Pranab Mukherjee
CM Prithviraj Chavan said Friday octroi would be abolished in the state by December-end.
"We are gradually introducing local body tax (LBT) in all corporations. We expect to do away with octroi by the end of the year," he said at an industry summit.Maharashtra, the only state to levy local octroi, has introduced accounts-based LBT to replace it.
LBT has been introduced in municipal areas of Amravati, Akola, Ahmednagar, Ulhasnagar, Kalyan-Dombivali, Chandrapur, Parbhani, Latur and Nashik, among other corporations.
"We are gradually introducing LBT across the state. Now, we will introduce it in Pune, Nagpur, Pimpri-Chinchwad and even Mumbai, which charges 4 per cent octroi," Chavan said.