Octroi out by yearend: CM
- Arvind Kejriwal stopped on way to meet Narendra Modi
- Sahara pleads SC to release Subrata Roy to borrow money for refunding investors
- PCâs dig at MoD: Learn from sub accidents, âspend wiselyâ
- SC issues notice to Centre on Kiran Reddy's PIL against creation of Telangana
- Jat quota after riots hurt Muslim sentiments, says Alvi
CM Prithviraj Chavan said Friday octroi would be abolished in the state by December-end.
"We are gradually introducing local body tax (LBT) in all corporations. We expect to do away with octroi by the end of the year," he said at an industry summit.Maharashtra, the only state to levy local octroi, has introduced accounts-based LBT to replace it.
LBT has been introduced in municipal areas of Amravati, Akola, Ahmednagar, Ulhasnagar, Kalyan-Dombivali, Chandrapur, Parbhani, Latur and Nashik, among other corporations.
"We are gradually introducing LBT across the state. Now, we will introduce it in Pune, Nagpur, Pimpri-Chinchwad and even Mumbai, which charges 4 per cent octroi," Chavan said.