Octroi out by yearend: CM
- Supreme Court curtails BCCI's financial powers, independent auditor to scrutinise accounts
- Bhubaneswar hospital fire: More patients succumb to injuries, death toll reaches 24
- Embraer aircraft deal: CBI names defence agent Vipin Khanna as key beneficiary in payoffs FIR
- Scrap English requirement, references that insult India: RSS edu wing to HRD
- US: 500 million pages of sensitive govt record stolen by ex-NSA contractor
CM Prithviraj Chavan said Friday octroi would be abolished in the state by December-end.
"We are gradually introducing local body tax (LBT) in all corporations. We expect to do away with octroi by the end of the year," he said at an industry summit.Maharashtra, the only state to levy local octroi, has introduced accounts-based LBT to replace it.
LBT has been introduced in municipal areas of Amravati, Akola, Ahmednagar, Ulhasnagar, Kalyan-Dombivali, Chandrapur, Parbhani, Latur and Nashik, among other corporations.
- Khurram Parvez jailing appears unjust, against govt’s self-interest in troubled Kashmir
- Under PM Modi, new synergy between India’s economic & foreign policy
- Climate justice must be ingrained in rules of new climate compacts
- Despite his outrageous views, Donald Trump represents hope to many Americans
- One advantage of redefining military action as surgery is that it mobilises rhetoric of health
- SC stand on triple talaq remains to be seen