Odisha's raped minor girl critical, put on ventilator
- BREAKING: Explosion on board INS Sindhuratna, two officers feared dead, 7 sailors injured
- LIVE: All options still open for LJP, says Ram Vilas Paswan
- 9 ordinances, 4 for Rahul: UPA planning emergency laws days before polls are announced
- Willing to say sorry for any mistake, Rajnath Singh tells Muslims
- Top IM men have joined al-Qaeda, fighting in Af-Pak: NIA chargesheet
The minor girl who was allegedly gang-raped in Rayagada and later attempted self-immolation was today put on ventilator when her condition worsened as she developed an infection and breathing problem.
The condition of the girl, undergoing treatment at a private hospital in Visakhapatanam, is very critical, Rayagada District Collector S S Padhi said.
The orphan girl was allegedly gang-raped by some youths while she was returning from work late on January 2. Unable to bear the humiliation, she set herself on fire and sustained about 80 per cent burns.
The girl was later shifted to a private hospital in neighbouring Andhra Pradesh.
Besides the district collector, Odisha's ST and SC Development Minister L B Himirika and chairperson of the State Commission for Women have already visited the hospital at Visakhapatanam.
Meanwhile, the family members of the four accused youths threatened to commit self-immolation saying there was no evidence indicating their involvement.
Rayagada SP Rajesh Pandit said the youths were arrested based on the statement of the victim.
"The police will submit chargesheet within one month," he said.
A large number of women and students staged a demonstration demanding stringent punishment against the youths involved in the gang-rape of the 16-year-old.