OMG! Vatican unveils Pope''s Twitter handle: @pontifex
- Naxal threat has to be quashed with a firm hand, says Pranab, as Maoists kill 16 in Chhattisgarh ambush
- Bangalore fund-raiser: Dine with Kejriwal for Rs 20,000
- Malaysia asks India to join search for missing plane
- Khobragadeâs help, husband cite âdifferencesâ, file for divorce
- President not for executing Bhullar, MHA disagrees
The secret's out. Pope Benedict's new handle on Twitter will be @pontifex, beating out other contenders that had been considered to showcase the thoughts of one of the world's most visible leaders.
Benedict already has 1.2 billion "followers" in the standard sense of the word but next week he will have another type when he enters what for any 85-year old is the brave new world of Twitter.
The Vatican said on Monday that the pope will start tweeting on December 12.
"The handle is a good one. It means 'pope' and it also means 'bridge builder'," said Greg Burke, senior media advisor to the Vatican.
Among the other handles that Vatican officials had reportedly considered was @BenedictusPPXVI, but they opted for something that was linked to the office of the papacy.
But don't expect tweets about how the pope is feeling or which soccer team he is praying to win a derby.
The papal tweets will be spiritual, Burke told a news conference, and the pope will tweet when and how often he wants.
And, even though Benedict is not the kind of person who walks around with a Blackberry or iPad, Burke said "all the pope's tweets are the pope's words. Nobody is going to be putting words into his mouth."
The first papal tweets will be answers to questions sent to #askpontifex.
The tweets will be going out in Spanish, English, Italian, Portuguese, German, Polish, Arabic and French. Other languages will be added in the future.
Primarily the tweets will come from the contents of his weekly general audience, Sunday blessings and homilies on major Church holidays. They will also include reaction to major world events, such as natural disasters.
Benedict will be pushing the button on his first tweet himself on Dec. 12 but in the future most will be written by aides and he will sign off on them.
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express