On day 7 of Craft Mela: Craftsmen display their skills
- Army said unit was headed for IAF drill, ex-Air Chief says this was due only a month later
- Arvind Kejriwal set to launch Aam Aadmi Party Lok Sabha poll campaign tomorrow at Rohtak
- Hindu migrants from Bangladesh must be accommodated: Modi
- Sushma Swaraj on Rahul Gandhi's anti-graft efforts: Sau chuhe kha ke billi haj ko chali
- Days after former Mumbai commissioner, another top cop quits post to join BJP
The displays by national awardee craftsmen on traditional and heritage crafts like thanjavur paintings, gond paintings, woven tapestry, handloom, wood carving, handmade jewellery, lac bangles and gem stone art jewellery are drawing big crowds at the craft mela at Kalagram.
On the seventh day, visitors made a beeline to these exquisite stalls. The Thanjavur paintings demonstration was put up by artist V Panner Salvam from Tamil Nadu. These paintings of dieties with ornamentation in gold were traditionally used in worship 400 years ago. Colours used are generally strong and vivid and comprise of deep green blue and red in the background while figures are mainly depicted in white, yellow, green and blue. The final effect being derived from the use of gold and setting of gems which gives the paintings an ornamental and rich look.
Besides the art pieces by B Raja Hary were also showcased. The wooden masterpieces by the artist depict on wood work depicting Hindu mythological stories and figures carved out on teak and rose wood. Artist Chotti Tekam from Madhya Pradesh also pulled crowds with his The Gond art based on the belief that "viewing a good image begets good luck". This inherent belief had infact led the Gonds to decorating their houses and the floors with traditional tattoos and motifs. However, Gondi art has since transposed onto paper and canvass with talented artists showcasing their skills. Also the works from Jaipur, Meenakari work and Kundan work were displayed. Among the artists who displayed at the mela was also Avaz Mohammed from Rajasthan demonstrating on lac bangles.
- What should common man expect when PM’s killers are freed: Rahul on Jayalalithaa’s decision
- The regressive state | The Indian Express
- Top General speaks: Def Secy summoned me late night, said highest seat of power was worried, troops must go back quickly
- Modi: Happy that my speeches contribute to nation’s coffers | The Indian Express