On day Arushi would have been 19, parents are charged with her murder
- SC stays death penalty of two Delhi gang-rape convicts till March 31
- MH370 continued flying for 6 hours, could have gone towards Kazakhstan or south of Indian Ocean: Malaysian PM
- AICC spokesman lashes out against PM's silence and negative publicity
- Court imposes fine of Rs 2,500 each on Arvind Kejriwal, Manish Sisodia
- Eyes on UP prize, Narendra Modi set for Varanasi
On the day she would have turned 19, Arushi Talwar's parents Rajesh and Nupur Talwar were charged with her murder and destruction of evidence.
A Ghaziabad court today framed charges against the dentist couple for the 2008 murder of their daughter and domestic help Hemraj under Indian Penal Code Sections 302/34 (murder with common intention) and 201/34 (destruction of evidence with common intention). Special judge Shyam Lal also charged Rajesh under Section 203(giving false information with respect to an offence committed).
Arushi was murdered on the night of May 15-16, 2008. She was found dead in bed with her throat slit and injuries on the head. At first, the needle of suspicion pointed towards Hemraj who was missing. A day later, his body was found on the terrace of the house.
Ruling on the charges, the court said formal drafting of the charges would take place tomorrow after the Talwars are asked whether they plead "guilty" or "not guilty".
CBI counsel R K SainiI said: "Tomorrow is basically a procedural matter. The court will ask whether they want to plead guilty or not. After that, charges will be framed and a date for the beginning of trial in the case will be announced. The prosecution will be asked to begin the examination of evidence and witnesses."
On Wednesday, the counsel representing the Talwars had argued that simply because the Talwars were the only persons in the house could not be reason enough to charge them with murder. The counsel said injuries of the victims did not match those that could have been caused from a golf club — the CBI had claimed that the golf club was the murder weapon.
The counsel claimed that Hemraj and his friends consumed alcohol, tried to misbehave with Arushi and, when she resisted, one of them killed her. Hemraj was then killed on the roof, the counsel said.
- BJP projected to sweep Gujarat, Rajasthan, Karnataka; Congress to get big jolt in Maharashtra
- Editors body slams Arvind Kejriwal for ‘irresponsible’ media remark, says it is a sign of ‘weakness’
- Trouble in alliance with Congress, TRS turns to BJP
- Minority panel removed my riot report against Modi: Ex-Secy