On Diwali: 47 fire incidents, over 100 burn injuries
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Somnath Bharti thrashed by alleged BJP supporters in Varanasi
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, CSK vs RR: RR field, Southee makes his IPL debut against CSK
In GTBH, around 28 patients were discharged after administering first-aid, while four children were admitted to Deep hospital, one patient came in Civil hospital and four in Dhami eye care centre.
Most of the patients were kids who had sustained facial and eyes injuries. "The kids burst the crackers in their hands which causes accident," said Dr Baldeep Singh, director of Deep Hospital.
Cause: Crackers, diyas and rats
The fire department said that stray crackers were a major reason for fire incidents, but burning diyas — left inside factory premises — were also a major reason. The fire officials adde: "The rats normally take out the cotton from inside the diya and they jump here and there and hence cause fires." Kartar Singh said: "Not many people know about this, but it is a reality as in the midnight, the rats become active as they see plenty of things to eat and while nibbling the things, they knock over the diyas and candles. Individuals should not put too much oil in diyas which have to be kept inside the factories."
Rs 1 crore in tax from cracker sales
Despite the steep rise in the cost of crackers, with prices nearly doubling for rockets and anars, cracker stall owners saw thumping business. As per official records over Rs 1 crore in tax was collected, which indicates sale of more than 15 crores crackers in Ludhiana.
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'