On Diwali: 47 fire incidents, over 100 burn injuries
In GTBH, around 28 patients were discharged after administering first-aid, while four children were admitted to Deep hospital, one patient came in Civil hospital and four in Dhami eye care centre.
Most of the patients were kids who had sustained facial and eyes injuries. "The kids burst the crackers in their hands which causes accident," said Dr Baldeep Singh, director of Deep Hospital.
Cause: Crackers, diyas and rats
The fire department said that stray crackers were a major reason for fire incidents, but burning diyas — left inside factory premises — were also a major reason. The fire officials adde: "The rats normally take out the cotton from inside the diya and they jump here and there and hence cause fires." Kartar Singh said: "Not many people know about this, but it is a reality as in the midnight, the rats become active as they see plenty of things to eat and while nibbling the things, they knock over the diyas and candles. Individuals should not put too much oil in diyas which have to be kept inside the factories."
Rs 1 crore in tax from cracker sales
Despite the steep rise in the cost of crackers, with prices nearly doubling for rockets and anars, cracker stall owners saw thumping business. As per official records over Rs 1 crore in tax was collected, which indicates sale of more than 15 crores crackers in Ludhiana.