On first day of new year, Mayor late for 2 hours at MC event
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Modi breaks silence, says petty statements by 'BJP well wishers deviating poll campaign'
- Would prefer to go to Pakistan than stop criticising Narendra Modi: Omar Abdullah
- Centre calls off trip over China no to Arunachal youth
- JuD chief Hafiz Saeed: Hindus safe in Pakistan unlike Muslims in Gujarat
- In this TN seat, Cong, BJP and AAP take centrestage
Mayor Harcharan Singh Gohalwaria put punctuality on the back burner on the first day of the new year, and reached almost two hours late at the online payment system inauguration at municipal corporation (MC) headquarters on Wednesday.
The Ludhiana MC from Wednesday started online payment system for its contractors and other dealers. The inauguration which was meant to be at 1.30 pm, finally began at 3.15 pm due to the Mayor reaching late.
However, his maain agenda seemed to be wooing the ally, BJP, as he inaugurated major projects in wards of BJP councillors, including senior deputy mayor Sunita Aggarwal.
When contacted, Gohalwaria told Newsline , "I was not late. I was coming to the inauguration programme but our employees started their programme for new year celebrations and I was not able to leave it mid-way."
Talking about online system he said, "There were lot of confusions in payments with wrong cheques getting issued and maintenance of records and that is why now all payments to contractors, dealers and workers will be done through direct transfer in their accounts, for which we have tied up with almost all the banks."
- Five months after gruesome ATM attack, accused still at large
- Ex-syndicate member of Bangalore University held in marks-for-cash scam
- Accused get bail as police fail to file chargesheet
- ‘Naxals collected info on trucks carrying explosives from Khadki to Ahmednagar’
- A tale of two villages: Ramayan and Mahabharat
- UP CM tears into Modi bastion on first visit to Gujarat, says Third Front ready