On Jangli Maharaj Road, vendors keep eyes trained on bicycles
- BJP rubbishes Geelani's claim, calls separatist leader's 'Modi emissary talk' as 'false and mischievous'
- Modi's jibe at Mulayam: âBalaatkariyon ke liye Netaji ka mann ekdum mulayam haiâ
- Ramdev âgoes liveâ on poll funding, Congress hits BJP on black money
- After denying a 'Modi wave', Joshi endorses Modi as India's next PM
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Rahul Gandhi addresses a rally in Assam; Sonia Gandhi to address a rally in Amethi today
They take care to have no carriers or boxes on the cycles to ensure no bombs can be placed. Mankar, who has lost one cycle to thieves, managed to prevent theft on two other occasions right before his eyes only because of his vigil, and gave chase and managed to recover the cycle.
"After the J M Road blasts, I have been keeping a close watch on my bicycle parked along the road. That is why I could catch two thieves," says Mankar.
Gurudev Amre, who sells socks on the roadside, has tied his bicycle to a tree. "When the J M blasts occurred, the bombs were placed on cycles. I keep by cycle tied to the tree whether I am at the spot or away. In the evening I take it home," says Amre. At Kasat chowk, four bicycles are parked in front of vendors selling pani puri, bhel and dosa. None has any carriers. "We keep cycles free of boxes and under constant watch," says a vendor.
There are few bicycles on J M Road, which stretches from Modern Cafe to Garware bridge. And those available are under close watch by the owners. There is another danger lurking. The stretch has a lot of two-wheelers and cars and parking areas have no attendants, making it easy for a bomb-planter. "If it has happened again in Hyderabad, it can happen again in Pune...Dar to lagta hain (I fear it happening again). Everybody should remain watchful. At least we are alert," says Prabhu G, a bhel vendor at Kasat chowk.
Vendors say beat constables should be present on the stretch. "They are seen on and off, but there should be constant presence of police," says Sadashiv Marne, another vendor.