One conviction out of 635 rape cases in Delhi this year
- Top BJP ministers attend RSS meet, Opposition questions govt's accountability
- Bharat bandh: Violence, arrest, chaos; one-day strike a 'grand success'
- Indrani, Peter brought face to face, questioned extensively; Sanjeev Khanna's laptop seized
- OROP: Veterans soften stand, may accept pension revision once in two years
- Govt to auction 69 oil & gas fields of ONGC, Oil India to private firms
There has been only one conviction out of over 600 cases of rape reported to Delhi Police this year even as crime against women has been on the rise in the national capital.
As many as 754 accused were arrested in the 635 cases reported to Delhi Police between January and November, the highest in past five years, Home Ministry data said.
Of these total accused, only one was convicted while 403 were facing trials, investigations were pending against 348 and two others were discharged.
A total of 572 rape cases were reported to Delhi Police last year as against 507 in 2010, 469 in 2009 and 466 in 2008.
The Delhi Police arrested 745 accused last year. Of these, 18 were convicted, 34 were acquitted, 597 were facing trials in different courts, 86 were still being investigated and 10 were discharged for the crime.
In 2010, out of 685 arrested accused, 37 were convictedand 107 were acquitted. Trials were going on against 518 accused and investigations were pending against 13 others, the data said.
Whereas, a total of 675 and 604 persons were arrested forrape in 2009 and 2008 respectively. Of these, 82 were convicted in 2009 and 52 in 2008, the data said.