One dead, 13 injured in building collapse in Thane; many trapped under rubble
A worker was killed and at least 13 others injured when a two-storeyed building housing a garment factory collapsed at Kalher village near power loom town of Bhiwandi in Thane district in the early morning hours on Thursday.
More than 12 workers are feared trapped under the debris of the structure, BIG Garments, located in Arihant Compound campus which houses many godowns, they said.
According to police, around 40 workers were present in the building when it crumbled and efforts are on to extricate those trapped under the rubble. However, heavy rains are affecting the rescue operation. Around 12 fire engines and scores of personnel of civil defence and home guard are at the site carrying out relief and rescue operations.
A team of National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) has also arrived at the spot. Incessant rains in the area are blamed for the collapse though there is no official confirmation to this.
The deceased is identified as Munna Vazur Diwan (25), who hails from Nepal, but currently staying in Kalher village, police said. Out of 13 injured, nine people were discharged while rest are undergoing treatment.
Top officials including district collector P Velrasu, Bhiwandi Nizampur City Municipal Corporation (BNMC) commissioner Achyut Hange, Thane police commissioner K P Raghuvanshi are supervising the relief and rescue operations at the spot.
- Youth Akali Dal leaders open fire in front of Akali leader’s home, 3 hurt
- Raarewala market: Shopkeepers threaten LS election boycott; Ayali, mayor swing into action
- Techie murder: 2 months on, cops land in UP on wild goose chase, lens on taxi, auto drivers
- Deoband cleric declares support for Narendra Modi
- Row in British parliament complex over Narendra Modi’s past
- Autorickshaws in Bangalore to get GPS makeover