One dead, 13 injured in building collapse in Thane; many trapped under rubble
- Matter is serious, will take action against Bhagwat Mann: Speaker
- Hooliganism going on in name of gau raksha: Gujarat Chief Secretary
- Adarsh Society case: SC stays demolition, asks Defence Ministry to 'secure' building
- SC to hear plea seeking Governor's rule in Jammu and Kashmir
- ED slaps money laundering case against former Haryana CM BS Hooda
A worker was killed and at least 13 others injured when a two-storeyed building housing a garment factory collapsed at Kalher village near power loom town of Bhiwandi in Thane district in the early morning hours on Thursday.
More than 12 workers are feared trapped under the debris of the structure, BIG Garments, located in Arihant Compound campus which houses many godowns, they said.
According to police, around 40 workers were present in the building when it crumbled and efforts are on to extricate those trapped under the rubble. However, heavy rains are affecting the rescue operation. Around 12 fire engines and scores of personnel of civil defence and home guard are at the site carrying out relief and rescue operations.
A team of National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) has also arrived at the spot. Incessant rains in the area are blamed for the collapse though there is no official confirmation to this.
The deceased is identified as Munna Vazur Diwan (25), who hails from Nepal, but currently staying in Kalher village, police said. Out of 13 injured, nine people were discharged while rest are undergoing treatment.
- Pakistan’s dependence on Saudi Arabia stands in their way against Islamic terrorism
- Protest over the demolition of Ambedkar Bhavan reveals a divided Dalit community
- Punjab’s drug problem is a national security issue
- Simultaneous elections will allow governments to devote four years for governance
- UN faces a crisis, but its new secretary general is unlikely to upset tradition
- South China Sea verdict has changed the ground rules for future engagement with China