One killed as dumper rams scooter, driver held
- Mulayam's shocker: Boys will be boys, they make mistakes... Will you hang them for rape?
- Australian PM confident sounds are from missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370
- Aam Aadmi Party battles Modi in Delhi, Congress missing
- First time, Narendra Modi slams Mamata Banerjee, calls her change ânakliâ
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Congress leader takes on 'married' Modi, says EC must intervene
The police on Monday arrested the driver of a dumper contracted by the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) for allegedly ramming into a scooter, killing the rider.
According to the Tilak Nagar police, the accident occurred on the Mankhurd Gharkopar Link Road around 1.30 pm on Monday.
Hitesh Jain (32) and his friend Suresh Jaiswal (30) were on their way to Ghatkopar when the dumper hit them from the left side while making a turn. The impact threw Jaiswal off the pillion seat. However, Jain was crushed under the wheels of the dumper. He was rushed to the Rajawadi Hospital where he was declared dead before admission.
Meanwhile, the dumper driver jumped out of his vehicle and fled.
"We made inquiries and traced the driver, identified as Rafi Ahmed (22) to Deonar, from where he was picked up and arrested," said senior inspector Bhimdev Rathod, Tilak Nagar police station.
Ahmed has been charged for causing death due to rash and negligent driving.
The police said that Jain used to run a medical store in Mankhurd and was on his way to buy medicines from a wholesale supplier in Ghatkopar. Jaiswal works as a mechanic in Mankhurd. He is under treatment at Rajawadi Hospital and is out of danger.