One killed as dumper rams scooter, driver held
- Essar Leaks: SC issues notices to Essar Group and Centre on PIL seeking court-monitored probe
- Karnataka CM announces CBI probe into death of IAS officer DK Ravi
- Hashimpura massacre: 10 freed still in UP Police
- Jaitley, Rajan paper over the cracks, minister says in regular, frank talks
- Lee Kuan Yew, founder of modern Singapore, passes away at 91
The police on Monday arrested the driver of a dumper contracted by the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) for allegedly ramming into a scooter, killing the rider.
According to the Tilak Nagar police, the accident occurred on the Mankhurd Gharkopar Link Road around 1.30 pm on Monday.
Hitesh Jain (32) and his friend Suresh Jaiswal (30) were on their way to Ghatkopar when the dumper hit them from the left side while making a turn. The impact threw Jaiswal off the pillion seat. However, Jain was crushed under the wheels of the dumper. He was rushed to the Rajawadi Hospital where he was declared dead before admission.
Meanwhile, the dumper driver jumped out of his vehicle and fled.
"We made inquiries and traced the driver, identified as Rafi Ahmed (22) to Deonar, from where he was picked up and arrested," said senior inspector Bhimdev Rathod, Tilak Nagar police station.
Ahmed has been charged for causing death due to rash and negligent driving.
The police said that Jain used to run a medical store in Mankhurd and was on his way to buy medicines from a wholesale supplier in Ghatkopar. Jaiswal works as a mechanic in Mankhurd. He is under treatment at Rajawadi Hospital and is out of danger.