One killed as dumper rams scooter, driver held
- April 23 campaign roundup: AAP leader Somnath Bharti thrashed by alleged BJP supporters in Varanasi
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Vadra rakes up snooping row to target Narendra Modi
- IPL 7: All-round Jadeja steals show in CSK win
The police on Monday arrested the driver of a dumper contracted by the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) for allegedly ramming into a scooter, killing the rider.
According to the Tilak Nagar police, the accident occurred on the Mankhurd Gharkopar Link Road around 1.30 pm on Monday.
Hitesh Jain (32) and his friend Suresh Jaiswal (30) were on their way to Ghatkopar when the dumper hit them from the left side while making a turn. The impact threw Jaiswal off the pillion seat. However, Jain was crushed under the wheels of the dumper. He was rushed to the Rajawadi Hospital where he was declared dead before admission.
Meanwhile, the dumper driver jumped out of his vehicle and fled.
"We made inquiries and traced the driver, identified as Rafi Ahmed (22) to Deonar, from where he was picked up and arrested," said senior inspector Bhimdev Rathod, Tilak Nagar police station.
Ahmed has been charged for causing death due to rash and negligent driving.
The police said that Jain used to run a medical store in Mankhurd and was on his way to buy medicines from a wholesale supplier in Ghatkopar. Jaiswal works as a mechanic in Mankhurd. He is under treatment at Rajawadi Hospital and is out of danger.