One killed as fire engulfs three shops in Sector 17

Fire

Shop from where fire originated had been issued notice for lacking fire safety measures

One person was burnt to death as fire broke out in a shop in Sector 17 in the week hours of Tuesday. Parmaal Nautial, a tailor who used to live in the shop from where the fire started, died due to burn injuries. Another tailor, Farmaan, who was asleep outside the adjoining shop was saved.

Three shops in the cabins, two tailoring and a laboratory, on the first floor of the Shop-Cum-Office (SCO) 71, 72 and 73, near the Mochi Shoes showroom were engulfed.

While the authorities await the report from Central Forensic Sciences Laboratory (CFSL) to pin point the actual cause of fire, two theories are being considered.

One is that of a shot circuit and the other of a cigarette butt that continued burning after it was thrown.

S K Gosain, the Station Fire Officer (SFO) who reached the spot said, "Prima facie cause seems to be due to short circuit. Also, the shopkeepers had not adopted proper measures for fire safety. They neither had the fire detectors nor the fire fighting equipment." He added that MC had served them notices as a similar incident had taken place in 2000 in the same shop.

Sub-Inspector Sohan Singh, in-charge, Neelam Police Post, Sector 17 said, "The fire broke out at around 2 am. PCR got a call at 2.07 am. Fire and emergency services were informed and six fire safety vehicles reached the spot."

Parmaal (50) worked as a tailor at the Classic Boutique. Reportedly, he had been working in the shop since last twelve years and used to live in the shop. Farmaan, another tailor, who worked in the tailor shop next door said, "Chacha used to live here for many years. His family lives in Saharanpur. He has two sons and a daughter."

... contd.

Please read our terms of use before posting comments
TERMS OF USE: The views expressed in comments published on indianexpress.com are those of the comment writer's alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of The Indian Express Group or its staff. Comments are automatically posted live; however, indianexpress.com reserves the right to take it down at any time. We also reserve the right not to publish comments that are abusive, obscene, inflammatory, derogatory or defamatory.