One of the most powerful arms in cricket history
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
* Kiran More
Sachin has always had one of the most powerful arms in cricket history. I remember during our 1989 tour to Pakistan, Sachin, then only 16, and Kapil Dev used to have a throwing competition. They used to stand at the centre wicket and challenge each other to fling the ball into the stands. Even at that tender age, Sachin was extremely strong, and he matched Kapil, who was easily India's best outfielder, throw for throw.
The greatest thing about Sachin though was that he was ambidextrous enough to attempt the feat with his left-arm. And in those days, he used to succeed in doing so as well. He was also aware of how dangerous his throw was. And Sachin would make it a point to fire in some bullet-throws early in the opposition innings in an attempt to intimidate them. Basically, he wanted to tell them how risky it was to take a chance against his arm, and put that fear into them. Personally, I was always worried about those throws. Because they used to come towards me at a rapid rate.
His arm wasn't the same after the shoulder operation he underwent later in his career. But even now it hasn't lost its bite completely.
The thing about Sachin in his young days was that he was super charged-up always. He used to be in my ear constantly during the times he stood at slip. Sachin had an opinion about every delivery that was being bowled, and every shot that was played. Not to forget the field placements. He was forever bubbling with ideas. At times, he could get annoying. I remember, Sachin often used to be banished to the fine-leg or long-on fence. But even from there, he would have a thousand suggestions. It was just a case of staggering amounts of energy and an unimaginable commitment and passion towards the game.
- LIVE: Arvind Kejriwal targets Reliance Industries
- My heart bleeds to see what is happening in the House: ManmohanÂ Singh
- Sonia named Chairperson of Congress Campaign panel for LS polls, Rahul ViceÂ Chairman
- US free to interact with Modi, but must apply standards consistent with its policy on human rights:Â Khurshid