One-and-half-year-old girl raped in Kolkata
- Sanjay Dutt released from Yerwada jail after 42 months
- Live updates from the budget session of Parliament
- Railway Budget 2016: Suresh Prabhu confirms free WiFi in 100 stations by end of this year
- Jat quota stir: Through petrol bomb, stone pelting and abuses, Army showed restraint
- Smriti Irani trains guns on Congress in aggressive, emotional Lok Sabha speech
A minor girl was allegedly raped by unidentified persons in the metropolis, police said today
"A complaint was lodged that a one-and-half-year-old girl was raped last night when she was sleeping with her mother on a footpath on Park Street," Deputy Commissioner of Police (South) Vishal Garg said. The infant was sent for medical examination, he said.
"We are on the lookout for the perpetrators and an investigation is already in progress," the DCP added.
The incident took place eight months after the rape of an Anglo-Indian woman set off a public outcry. The Anglo-Indian woman was raped in a car at Park Street in which she had taken a lift at night in February.
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee was embroiled in a controversy after she described the incident as 'concocted' and aimed at tarnishing image of the state government.
- Section 124A should stay
- It is not anti-national to denounce a court judgment or ask for azaadi for Kashmir
- Pampore shows why India needs counter-terrorism institutions, not more martyrs
- FM’s fiscal deficit dilemma
- There can be no greater form of political violence than Haryana’s panchayat law
- I love my country enough to commit to its future even if it means being branded anti-national