One-and-half-year-old girl raped in Kolkata
- Yakub Memon's mercy plea rejected, Sena calls it a message to terrorists
- Ready to discuss Sushma in Parliament, but not Raje, Chouhan: Arun Jaitley
- RS deadlock: Govt ready for debate, Oppn says get your ministers to resign first
- SC rejects Centre's review against scrapping quota for Jats
- Curfew in Jamshedpur after clashes over alleged eve teasing, at least 100 arrested
A minor girl was allegedly raped by unidentified persons in the metropolis, police said today
"A complaint was lodged that a one-and-half-year-old girl was raped last night when she was sleeping with her mother on a footpath on Park Street," Deputy Commissioner of Police (South) Vishal Garg said. The infant was sent for medical examination, he said.
"We are on the lookout for the perpetrators and an investigation is already in progress," the DCP added.
The incident took place eight months after the rape of an Anglo-Indian woman set off a public outcry. The Anglo-Indian woman was raped in a car at Park Street in which she had taken a lift at night in February.
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee was embroiled in a controversy after she described the incident as 'concocted' and aimed at tarnishing image of the state government.
The case was cracked by the Kolkata Police's crime wing then chief Damayanti Sen, with charge sheets filed against five persons. The prime accused in the case is still at large.