Online petition against rapper Honey Singh for pornographic lyrics derogatory to women goes viral
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
In the wake of the recent outrage against Delhi gangrape, a group of social activists have filed an online petition protesting against a performance of rapper Honey Singh, alleging his lyrics were offensive towards women.
Does Bollywood degrade women? From Bachchan to Emraan Hashmi are the acts demeaning? Tell us.
The petition filed by one Kalpana Misra via Change.org has appealed for a ban on the Punjabi rapper's New Year's eve performance at a Gurgaon hotel on Monday.
"These pornographic lyrics are unacceptable and it is because of women-hating sentiments like these that men think that it's fine to do what they did on that bus, that December night in Delhi.
"Let's put a stop to these subversive lyrics that infiltrate the minds of people who don't know better and who then justify to themselves the rightness of a crime that harms another human being, sometimes so severely that they lose their lives," the petition stated.
When contacted, the Bristol hotel said they will go ahead with the performance as scheduled and that they were not aware of any such petition.
The rapper was unavailable for comment.
Honey Singh raps mostly in a mix of English and Punjabi and has lent his voice to recent Bollywood films like 'Khiladi 786', 'Cocktail' and 'Luv Shuv Te Chicken Khurana'.
Outrage against the rapper and his derogatory songs have been pouring on social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter for the past few days.
- Live: Kejriwal does a U turn, urges people to come in largeÂ numbers
- Women competent enough, they need opportunities, saysÂ Rahul
- â€˜Modi has a majoritarian, authoritarian attitudeâ€¦ such a policy and style of govt would be a disaster for thisÂ countryâ€™
- â€˜Narmada water not reaching farmers for want of minor canalsâ€™ | The Indian Express