Only women teachers for Surat girls schools
- PDP, BJP seal alliance to form government in Jammu & Kashmir
- RK Pachauri, accused of sexual harassment, quits UN climate change panel
- Centre's land bill is anti-farmer, says Kejriwal at Anna protest rally
- SpiceJet launches low-fare offer for Holi; one lakh seats on the block
- BJP defends Bhagwat, claims Mother Teresa admitted she was not a social worker
The Surat Municipal Education Board on Wednesday decided to appoint only women teachers in all the girls' schools under it in the city. This comes in the wake of a recent incident wherein a teacher had allegedly shown an obscene clip to an 11-year-old girl at Corporation School no 277.
The teacher, Deepak Choudhary, was later arrested.
After SMEB's general meeting, education officer P B Rathod said, "We took the decision after taking all the board members into confidence that such incident of child sex abuse should not be repeated, and that women teachers should be appointed in girls schools. We are working on the number of women teachers in the municipal schools."
Officials said they plan to replace male teachers in girls schools with their women counterparts from other municipal schools. The male teachers will be transferred to co-ed schools, they added.