Only you can give nation secular govt: DMK to Sonia
- Mali hostage crisis ends as security forces gun down militants; 27 killed
- Sheena Bora case: Peter charged with murder, criminal conspiracy
- Nitish Kumar sworn in as Bihar Chief Minister; Lalu's sons in Cabinet
- UP keeps its distance from Bihar: Why Mulayam, Akhilesh didn't attend Nitish swearing-in
- Madras HC stays cancellation of Greenpeace India registration
After extending crucial support to the Centre on the FDI in retail issue, DMK on Saturday sought to cement its ties with UPA with its chief M Karunanidhi saying the nation "looks up to" UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi to provide a "secular and stable" government.
"As chairperson of UPA, you have been crossing a number of roadblocks tactfully and facing many hurdles successfully. As it is often said, obstacles are stepping stones to greater success," he said in a message to Sonia, who turns 67 on Sunday.
The nation "looks up to you only at this critical phase" to provide a secular and stable government at the Centre, he said adding that "despite certain impediments, the achievements of UPA government have been quite impressive". "The poor and middle classes of people of this country certainly realise your abiding interest in their livelihood and welfare," Karunanidhi said in the message.
- Modi can leverage foreign policy to repair his domestic image
- Muslims biggest losers from our reservation policy, one that Bhagwat rightly wants reviewed
- If Pak state really cared for its people, it would put national economy above all else
- Despite little coverage in India, the Argentinian presidential election is significant
- Uday lacks a strong, accessible monitoring mechanism critical for its success
- What Mr Mani Shankar Aiyar won’t say