Oppn demands cancellation of draft Development Plan
- Zero-tolerance towards communal violence, must act: Centre to states
- Varanasi: Violence breaks out during protest march, vehicles set ablaze
- Germany our natural partner, says Modi after meeting Merkel; 18 MoUs inked to boost trade
- Why the BJP finds itself in a spot before Gujarat local body polls
- Supreme Court suspends beef ban in Jammu & Kashmir for two months
Opposition parties on Friday upped the ante on the draft Development Plan of the city made public on Thursday with the BJP demanding immediate cancellation of the draft Development Plan (DP) alleging it was not citizen-centric and was in the interest of only the builder lobby.
"The provisions in the draft DP alongwith the amendments suggested by the ruling alliance are shocking. It seems as if the DP is prepared for builders and not citizens," said BJP MLA Girish Bapat.
He said there was no need to change the plots reserved for public utility as proposed in the DP of 1987.
"There has been deliberate efforts to shift or change the reservations of plots meant for public utility to enable builders begin construction."
Bapat said in certain cases the reservations have been shifted from one plot to another under the influence of some people. "BJP opposes the DP and will alongwith Shiv Sena legislators meet Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan urging him to cancel the DP. The government would be asked to implement the town planning scheme," he said.
Congress legislator Mohan Joshi too condemned the draft DP saying the plan only promotes high rise structures in the city and ignores basic facilities. "The draft DP will only help builders make money," he said.
Former corporator Ujjwal Keskar said the PMC has changed the reservation of metro station to pave way for a residential structure.