Original recipe of Jack Danielís found in herbal remedies book
- Jaitley defamation case: Won't charge Kejriwal, will treat him like my poor clients, says Jethmalani
- Poll panel to throw open challenge: Check our EVMs
- Hindustani classical loses its voice: Kishori Amonkar passes away at 84
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in Rajouri sector of Jammu-Kashmir
- Mumbai: 24-year-old jumps off 19th floor of hotel room after going Live on FB
The original recipe for legendary American whiskey Jack Daniel's has been discovered in a book of herbal remedies in Wales.
Businessman Mark Evans, 54, was researching his family history when he discovered the recipe in a book of herbal remedies, the Telegraph reported.
It was written in 1853 by his great-great grandmother who was called Daniels and was a local herbalist in Llanelli, South Wales.
Her brother-in-law left the Welsh town at about the same time to move to Lynchburg Tennessee where the Jack Daniel's distillery was opened three years later.
And the Jack Daniel's website states the founder of the distillery was from Wales.
Evans said that the ingredients in his great-great grandmother's recipe match what goes into the best selling whiskey in the world.
"I'm pretty sure I've discovered the original recipe in great-great grannie's book," he said.
"I was doing some family research, looking at photographs and things, and I wanted to look at the family bible.
"At the bottom of the bookcase was this book," he claimed.
Evans' grandmother Lillian Daniel's Probert, who is 97 and living in Llanelli, can recall her own grandmother using the book to make herbal remedies and ointments.
"My great, great-grandmother wrote in the book in 1853, and Jack Daniel's is dated 1866, so it predates it.
"There is a link, because my grandmother's grandfather's brother - my great, great uncle - left for America and nobody ever heard from him after a couple of letters.
"That was during the time that Jack Daniel's was set up, but more important than that, he was called John 'Jack the Lad' Daniel's.
"We know he went to Lynchburg Tennessee and I'm pretty sure he used great-great grannie's recipe to start off the whiskey business," he added.
- An omnibus Finance Bill violates canons of constitutional propriety
- Punjab minister’s proposal to decolonise history can be a beginning
- This is constitutional moment for GST, moment ripe for ambition and visionary decision-making
- The first diplomatic encounter between Donald Trump, Xi Jinping will set tone for Asian geopolitics