Original recipe of Jack Daniel’s found in herbal remedies book
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
The original recipe for legendary American whiskey Jack Daniel's has been discovered in a book of herbal remedies in Wales.
Businessman Mark Evans, 54, was researching his family history when he discovered the recipe in a book of herbal remedies, the Telegraph reported.
It was written in 1853 by his great-great grandmother who was called Daniels and was a local herbalist in Llanelli, South Wales.
Her brother-in-law left the Welsh town at about the same time to move to Lynchburg Tennessee where the Jack Daniel's distillery was opened three years later.
And the Jack Daniel's website states the founder of the distillery was from Wales.
Evans said that the ingredients in his great-great grandmother's recipe match what goes into the best selling whiskey in the world.
"I'm pretty sure I've discovered the original recipe in great-great grannie's book," he said.
"I was doing some family research, looking at photographs and things, and I wanted to look at the family bible.
"At the bottom of the bookcase was this book," he claimed.
Evans' grandmother Lillian Daniel's Probert, who is 97 and living in Llanelli, can recall her own grandmother using the book to make herbal remedies and ointments.
"My great, great-grandmother wrote in the book in 1853, and Jack Daniel's is dated 1866, so it predates it.
"There is a link, because my grandmother's grandfather's brother - my great, great uncle - left for America and nobody ever heard from him after a couple of letters.
"That was during the time that Jack Daniel's was set up, but more important than that, he was called John 'Jack the Lad' Daniel's.
"We know he went to Lynchburg Tennessee and I'm pretty sure he used great-great grannie's recipe to start off the whiskey business," he added.
- â€˜Someone should remind the CM weâ€™re also aam aadmi. But theyâ€™ve turned us intoÂ demonsâ€™
- Kapil Sibal to contest from Chandni Chowk in 2014, even if Arvind Kejriwal inÂ fray
- AAP names Bharti victims, uploads eight videos targeting Africans in Delhi
- Arvind Kejriwal likely to pass Jan Lokpal Bill in February, says the fight for new independence hasÂ begun