Orissa man gets death penalty for rape-murder
- Memon’s lawyers move SC seeking stay on his execution, high drama outside CJI's house
- ISIS preparing to attack India, likely to spark Indo-US confrontation: report
- Afghan intelligence: Taliban leader Mullah Omar dead for more than 2 years
- Whistleblower Sanjiv Chaturvedi, Anshu Gupta win Magsaysay award
- Abdul Kalam's mortal remains arrive in his hometown Rameswaram
A fast-track Orissa court Thursday sentenced to death a man for raping and murdering a three-year-old girl.
Thidu Munda of Budhiapalli village in Sambalpur district is the second rapist-murderer sent to the gallows in the country this week.
In the backdrop of calls for speedy disposal of rape cases after the December 16 Delhi gangrape, court officials said it took less than four months for Sambalpur Additional District Judge Ashok Kumar Panda to conclude the trial and order that Munda be hanged to death for murdering the girl under section 302 of IPC. He also awarded the convict life imprisonment under for raping a minor girl.
Munda had lured the tribal girl by offering her food and then raped and murdered her on October 4, 2012. Her body was found seven days later. Munda, who is separated from his wife, was arrested soon after.