Orissa man gets death penalty for rape-murder
- Gandhi vs Gandhi: Priyanka slams Varun, says LS poll not a family tea party
- Supreme Court grants recognition to transgenders as third category of sex
- SC rejects Kejriwal's plea to stay trial in defamation case filed by Kapil Sibal's son
- Unethical, betrayal: Prime Minister Manmohan Singhâs daughter voices family anger
- Modi equates Rahul with kids, says âtoffeeâ has caught his fancy after âballoonâ
A fast-track Orissa court Thursday sentenced to death a man for raping and murdering a three-year-old girl.
Thidu Munda of Budhiapalli village in Sambalpur district is the second rapist-murderer sent to the gallows in the country this week.
In the backdrop of calls for speedy disposal of rape cases after the December 16 Delhi gangrape, court officials said it took less than four months for Sambalpur Additional District Judge Ashok Kumar Panda to conclude the trial and order that Munda be hanged to death for murdering the girl under section 302 of IPC. He also awarded the convict life imprisonment under for raping a minor girl.
Munda had lured the tribal girl by offering her food and then raped and murdered her on October 4, 2012. Her body was found seven days later. Munda, who is separated from his wife, was arrested soon after.
- Modi wave is a myth, says Siddaramaiah
- In Mandya, discordant notes in show of Cong unity
- ‘Fakir’ Jankar takes on Pawar might in battle against ‘dynasty’
- Ballot paper in Braille to help blind persons cast their vote
- AAP volunteer attacked
- 64-year-old fights for Punjabi language, gets little support from political parties