Orissa: Naxals blow up 4 school buildings
- Supreme Court strikes down Section 66A, says it violates right to speech
- Pakistan Day: PM greets, MoS VK Singh tweets #disgust
- DK Ravi's death: Govt calls in CBI, tells court he had a ‘relationship’ with batchmate
- Mufti Mohammad Sayeed says will take Army into confidence on AFSPA
- 1987 Hashimpura massacre: The photographs that stand witness
Maoist mayhem in the northern Orissa district of Sundargarh continued unabated with the rebels blowing up four school buildings and a primary health centre in the past 24 hours. There was no report of any injury.
Rourkela SP Diptesh Patnaik, who visited the spot, said on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning the Maoists set off landmines in the high school and primary school buildings of Jharbeda, Balijora and Mohupadar villages.
The CRPF forces were camping in these schools to provide security to the villagers since last 10 days, he said. "On Tuesday, the security forces had left the buildings and came back to K Bolang area. Taking advantage of the absence of the CRPF personnel, the Maoists blew up the buildings," he said.
A police officer said the schools were targeted as the places had been used by security personnel during combing operation.
Last week, more than 50 Maoist rebels blew up a gram panchayat building in the district.