Oscar Pistorius charged with girlfriend's murder, breaks down in court
- Naxal threat has to be quashed with a firm hand, says Pranab, as Maoists kill 16 in Chhattisgarh ambush
- Malaysia military tracked missing plane to the west coast
- AAP defends Rs 20,000 per person dinner with Kejriwal, says it was transparent
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Narendra Modi's new found love for Bihar a ploy to win votes: Nitish Kumar
South African sporting hero Oscar Pistorius broke down in court today as he was accused of shooting his model girlfriend three times through a locked bathroom door in what prosecutors said was a 'premeditated' Valentine's Day murder.
The double-amputee Olympian and Paralympian "Blade Runner" is seeking bail at the hearing which is expected to reveal more about what happened the night his cover girl law graduate lover Reeva Steenkamp was killed.
Prosecutor Gerrie Nel told the Pretoria magistrate's court that Pistoris armed himself, put on his prosthesis, walked seven metres and fired three shots through a locked bathroom door at Steenkamp, saying this showed premeditation on the part of the star athlete.
The 26-year-old defendant, making his second court appearance over the killing, appeared in the dock in a black suit, blue shirt and grey tie and stared straight ahead anxiously, sometimes mumbling under his breath.
Steenkamp, 29, who was shot four times in the early hours of Thursday by a 9mm pistol owned by the sprinter, is due to be laid to rest at a private ceremony in her hometown of Port Elizabeth later Tuesday.
Pistorius's family has insisted that the evidence will refute "any possibility of a premeditated murder or indeed any murder at all".
Defence lawyers are expected to argue that there are "exceptional circumstances" for Pistorius to be freed pending trial.
As a result, more details will likely emerge of what happened during the Valentine's Day shooting at Pistorius's upmarket home in a gated estate in Pretoria.
The state has said it would oppose bail. Both sides have called in heavyweight lawyers, setting the scene for a massive legal showdown.
- Internal Maoist document targets 12 political leaders
- Forces didn’t follow SoP, says MHA
- ‘Teesta NGOs got foreign donations worth Rs 4 cr’
- Unable to pay to cheat, another student tries to kill himself in UP
- ‘Ignored’ by AAP, Mallika says won’t contest LS elections
- He didn’t want to lose a year, mother had mortgaged ring to arrange ‘bribe’
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express