Oscar-winning Bhanu Athaiya designs the look for TV show 'Mahabharat'
- L-G Jung functioning as if there is President's Rule in Delhi: Sisodia
- Suicide car bomb kills at least 6, injures 9 in Kabul
- VIDEO: Teased by bodyguard, Agra woman smashes SP leader's Mercedes
- Amid Delhi Chief Secy row, at least dozen govt officers ready to leave city
- Modi govt calls for 'fitting' commemoration of Rajiv Gandhi death anniversary
Oscar-winning costume designer Bhanu Athaiya has been roped in to design the costumes for TV show Mahabharat.
The 85-year-old Athaiya, who won the Oscar for her costumes in Gandhi, is a consulting faculty for TV's mythological saga Mahabharat and joining her on this show will be Nidhi Yasha.
Athaiya said the designs on the mythological show will be loyal to Indian traditions and weaves.
"I'm really delighted to be a part of such a huge TV venture. The entire look of Mahabharat will revive Indian handicrafts and traditional weaves. Different ancient techniques have been used to achieve the various looks. A lot of bright coloured silks, handlooms, gold and jewellery structured embroidery patterns have been used.
"My team and I were very meticulous about every detail to remain true to the character. We have worked hard on designing this show and I'm sure our effort will translate beautifully to the audiences," Athaiya said.
Yasha said they studied over 450 books related to period textiles, costume and jewellery to arrive at the present look
for the show.
Mahabharat will see Samir Dharmadhikari play Shantanu, Shayantani Ghosh as Satyavati, Aarav Chaudhary as Bheeshma, Arpit Ranka as Duryodhan, Puneet Issar as Parshuram, Saurabh Jain as Krishna, Ratan Rajput as Amba and Pooja Sharma in the
role of Draupadi.