Outrage: Maoists cut open CRPF jawan's abdomen, booby-trap it with bomb
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Won't do anything with bad intentions, says Modi as BJP unveils poll manifesto
- BJP unveils poll manifesto, includes contentious issues like Ram Temple and Article 370
- Coal block scam: CVC Pradeep Kumar recuses himself from SC probe panel
- Chandrababu Naidu's TDP back in NDA, joins hands with BJP
- Lok Sabha elections: 25 pc of voting in first three hours in Assam
A 1.5 kg bomb was planted by Maoists inside the stomach of a CRPF jawan killed in an encounter with the rebels in a brutal tactic perhaps used for the first time by Naxals in the country.
The Naxals had surgically inserted an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) in the body of the slain jawan of the Central Reserve Police Force(CRPF) who was killed three days back in an ambush in Jharkhand's Latehar district, Police said today.
Taking note of the Maoist strategy that has come to light, Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said in New Delhi, "they are employing new new tactics."
Doctors conducting the autopsy of the CRPF troopers at a government hospital in Ranchi were shocked when they found a 1.5 kg unexploded bomb stitched inside the abdomen of 29-year- old Constable Babulal Patel who was among those killed in the encounter. Patel hailed from Allahabad.
Jharkhand DGP G S Rath said the body of Patel with the IED implanted in it was recovered by patrol squads last evening from near the encounter site.
"The doctors became suspicious when they saw the body ofthe CRPF jawan. The bomb disposal squad was then called and the body was placed in an open field," Rath told PTI in Ranchi. Police also said an X-ray showed a bomb.
Later, the IED was defused by the bomb squad, a senior CRPF official said. The IED was a pressure bomb prototype which explodes on being disturbed, he said.
Rath said doctors initially refused to conduct the post-mortem after they became suspicious on seeing stiches on
The IED placed in the stomach of the jawan air-lifted from the encounter site to Ranchi did not explode, Latehar Superintendent of Police Kranti Kumar said.
"The IEDs were fitted in the stomachs of two personnel. The one in the body of CRPF jawan Baijanath Kisku exploded inflicting casualties," Kumar said.
- Candidates steering towards auto unions to rev up support
- ‘Will send builders of illegal structures to jail’
- To root out corruption, vote for change and give the new face a chance, says Bains
- Green campaign: Phoolka to ride cycle, Bittu talks of birds
- SUV driver hits car, tries to run over inspector at naka; cases registered
- Parties cash in on Sunday mood, star appeal for votes